none
DHCP options unavailable for the policy based on Is Single Label operator RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

When creating a DHCP policy which uses Is Sinle Label operator - let's say I need to route all traffic from non-domain members via some other router - I see that all DHCP options are greyed out (including 003 Router), making my goal unachievable (the same applies to FQDN Equals ... operator):

In contrast, when using Vendor Class operator DHCP options are available:

1) Is it by design?

2) Is there any way to provide different sets of DHCP options to domain and non-domain clients (i.e. to Single Label clients and "Fully Qualified Domain Name clients)?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:36 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

>>1) Is it by design?

Yes, it is.

>>2) Is there any way to provide different sets of DHCP options to domain and non-domain clients (i.e. to Single Label clients and "Fully Qualified Domain Name clients)?

I am afraid there has no other ways to assign specific options for domain clients non-domain clients.

You could configure user classes and assign options for clients that belong to user classes.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Nedim Mehic Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by MF47 Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

>>1) Is it by design?

Yes, it is.

>>2) Is there any way to provide different sets of DHCP options to domain and non-domain clients (i.e. to Single Label clients and "Fully Qualified Domain Name clients)?

I am afraid there has no other ways to assign specific options for domain clients non-domain clients.

You could configure user classes and assign options for clients that belong to user classes.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Nedim Mehic Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by MF47 Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Hi John,

Sounds strange to me ... it means an administrator can use Is Single Label operator and register those non-domain clients under some guest domain name -for example GuestDomain.com - (on the DNS tab), but can not provide them with any (different!) options - in this case what's the purpose of Is Single Label/Equal to FQDN operators? If I can't use some special settings for any subset of clients those policies are completely usesless (at least to me).

Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 11:54 AM
  • Hi Michael,

>>in this case what's the purpose of Is Single Label/Equal to FQDN operators?

As far as I know, this condition is configured for DNS server but not for options or IP address ranges. This condition is configured to register DHCP clients by using specific suffix.

Here is information about this condition for your reference:

What's New in DHCP

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn305900(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards

John

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:49 AM
  • Hi John,

'his condition is configured to register DHCP clients by using specific suffix.' - yes, I know - I'm using it in my own network, but the sole result of such a policy (registering non-domain computers as PC.guestdomain.com) is a new zone (GuestDomain.com) populated by A-records of non-domain computers - it's pretty useless for me because I can't configure any specific setting for them, just see them in a different zone.

By the way, the article that explains the process of configuring dns guest suffixes using Is Single Label operator has the mistake:
    "For successful registration of DNS record, the DNS suffix (guestdomain.contoso.com in this case) must be configured on the DNS server."

It is a guest domain ZONE that should be created and given specific permissions for a dns updater user account, NOT a suffix!

Regards,

Michael

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi Michael,

>>It is a guest domain ZONE that should be created and given specific permissions for a dns updater user account, NOT a suffix!

You could post comments on article or you could send feedback to author of this article to descript this issue.

Thanks for your effort and understanding.

Best Regards

John

Friday, March 3, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hi John,

"You could post comments on article or you could send feedback to author of this article to descript this issue." - yes, of course.

Regards,

Michael

Monday, March 6, 2017 7:29 AM