Volume License ISOs & Activation keys on VLSC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've placed a new OLP oder for one of my clients. It's being processed by the reseller still but I would really like to get cracking on building the Hyper-V VMs and preparing the the domain controller right away!

Can I download and use a Windows Server 2019 ISO downloaded from another customers OLP and then later successfully activate that copy of Windows Server 2019 with the newly ordered OLP keys once the order has been processed and assigned to me for access?

Can't find a definitive answer to this in the VLSC literature anywhere?

Also would setting up a DC and deploying servers not this new forest work as expected without any of the servers being activated right away?

As always thanks in advance...

durrie.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:51 PM

Answers

• My opinion only; but you should be fine to use anyone's copy of the volume media, as to configuration and domain controller promotion I would not do until after activation.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:34 PM

All replies

• Can I download and use a Windows Server 2019 ISO downloaded from another customers OLP and then later successfully activate that copy of Windows Server 2019 with the newly ordered OLP keys once the order has been processed and assigned to me for access?

Possibly yes, I'd confirm by asking the volume center. https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/Help/Contact.aspx

or email volume licensing service.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportrequestform/2afa6f15-b710-db46-909a-8346017c802f?sl=en&sc=US

Also would setting up a DC and deploying servers not this new forest work as expected without any of the servers being activated right away?

If the server is a domain controller, you cannot convert it to a retail version. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths 

This applies to evaluation media so I'd also confirm that one with the volume center about using volume media

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:20 PM
  • Grrr...thanks Dave.

Trying to contact VLSC service desk now problem is they are closed in my timezone right now!

The VLSC portal is a mess, got a survey request after logging into it today and slammed it in the ratings as it really is always so slow and clunky and 24-48hrs for things to register is really not great in the world of today!

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:30 PM
  • My opinion only; but you should be fine to use anyone's copy of the volume media, as to configuration and domain controller promotion I would not do until after activation.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Thursday, September 19, 2019 7:34 PM