none
Problems with custom Content Types and properties in Office 2016 (Word)

Question

• Hi,

with Word 2016 the document information panel is gone so now I divert customers to set custom property values in Info -> Properties. Some customers but not all are having problems setting the properties. They create documents in SharePoint online document library through a custom Content Type, the document opens in Word and they have to fill out required custom properties. We don't use lookup columns anymore in document Content Types because they don't work in Office 2016, so we use managed metadata columns instead.

When some customers (not even all within one company) create a document from a Content Type and open Info in Word 2016 for that document to set the properties a pop-up window opens that refers to the document library. In that window they have to choose a Content Type and some properties appear when they do so (not all of them, not even some that are required). They have already chosen the Content Type in SharePoint online and shouldn't have to choose it again in Word. But even though they set the property values in this pop-up window the values don't stick and the customer can't save the document and check it in for the first time. Workaround is to close the document, go to Edit Properties for that document in SharePoint and there set all values, save and then check in. They shouldn't have to do that.

Are there any problems going on in the SharePoint O365 environment, with all the changes and updates to the look of libraries and forms that have been going on?

There are only two columns that are displayed in that pop-up window but there are many more and others that are required. Can anybody tell me why this is happening? Is there something interfering with the connection between SharePoint online and Word 2016? All these customers have Office 2016 and sometimes the person next to the one having this problem is not having a problem like this at all and can fill in all the properties, save and check in. So some people are having this problem and some are not. Might it be the installation of the Office 2016 package on these machines or is it something else? This is really bad and can cause people to not want to use O365 SharePoint.

If anybody has any suggestions or can point me to the right direction I would be really grateful.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Magga86,

What do you mean the pop-up window? Could you please provide the screenshot?

Per my test in my SharePoint online environment, it will not let me select the content type and the columns will display in the properties in word 2016 when creating the document in library.

For troubleshooting the issue, you could check things below:

1. Re-upload the documents to check if the same issue will occur.

2. Repair the office application. For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

Repair an Office application.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 23, 2016 7:44 AM
  • I couldn't add the screenshot because it's the first time I ask a question here and Technet has to verify my account. The documents are created from custom document Content Types in the SharePoint online environment, documents are not being uploaded. But maybe I can ask a customer to download one of the documents and upload them and try to fill out the custom properties again in Word 2016 but some of the fields are required and they can't save and check in until the properties have been filled out.

These custom Content Types are created as part of a custom SharePoint app solution that's set up on the customers Site. But this problem doesn't happen to everybody, not even everybody at the same company, which is weird. That's why I have thought of it being a problem with the office application itself.

I can't post a picture or a link because Technet hasn't verified my account yet.

• Edited by Magga86 Friday, September 23, 2016 8:24 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2016 8:22 AM
  • Hi Magga86,

For troubleshooting the issue, compare the difference between the normal user and the user with the issue in the library and the site.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:39 AM
  • How should I compare them? They both have the same permissions on the site so that shouldn't be it and I don't have access to customers AD if they use that to add users to O365 environment. Is there a best practice way to compare users?

Thanks a lot for your replies,

Best regards,

Magga

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi Magga86,

To compare the permission between the different user in library, go to library->library settings->permissions for this document library->check permissions in ribbon->type the user name and click “check now”.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:14 AM