WinXP hangs after break/security lockout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've stumbled across a weird one... again.

Our client has 25'ish XP(SP3) pc's around the office connected to SBS2008 domain and exchange.

It has all ran fine for about 2 years now, but recently (about 2 weeks) when staff comes back from lunch, explorer.exe hangs and needs a restart.

This ONLY happens if they have been away at lunch, so say minimum 25min. The XP's are all set to lock on screensaver activation (10min) and requires a logon when they return.

This happens both if they logged off for lunch or if the machine locked itself.

Using task manager to restart explorer.exe fixes the issue, so for the time being I've given them all a .exe on their desktop that restarts the process.

The actual programs running in the background doesn't seem to matter, I've seen all different combinations do the same thing.

It is also only happening on about 6-7 of the workstations.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Kind regards

Johan

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• They all have a 3rd party company specific program (the same one) and MS Office (2003 or 2007).

Three more pushed out with a GPO: Adobe Reader X, Flash and Google Earth (same MSI's installed on all 25 PC's).

The Office version does not seem to make any difference at all, PC's with either has the issue.

One machine has Skype on it (it also has the issue).

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:11 AM
  • They are already clones. These machines are identical in all aspects except Hardware. At first we thought it was an issue with specific models of older Dell's (OptiPlex 280gx), but a new one (HP 3500MT) has just started doing it as well.

I guess I could just reclone one and see what happens, but I was hoping I could try and fix the issue to prevent downtime (and hopefully push the fix with a GPO if possible)

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:16 PM
  • So you are suggesting replacing 7 PC's that has been working fine for 3 years due to an error with an exe???

No I think you might be missing the point somehow. These machines has not been touched in the last 3 years, other than anual dust cleanout and updates and they have been working great. This issue has only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks.

Usually we are able to fix little nigling issues, but in this case we are unable to replicate the issue on any of our test machines even witht he effected user accounts. It seems to definately be a PC issue.

Restarting the explorer.exe process through task manager fixes the problem instantly. I want to fix them not replace them.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Thank you for your assistance. We're upgrading to Win7 soon, so we are leaving the current situation as is. I've marked your suggestion as answered as I'm pretty sure a reinstall will remove the error.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:14 PM