how to have the "new mail" feature on the right click menu of the Windows Live Mail task bar icon RRS feed

• Question

• I have the Windows Live Mail program pined to my Task Bar and I want to add the feature to create a new email with out having to actually open Windows Live Mail and then select "new email" from within the program.  I want it set so that I can right click on the Windows Live Mail icon that appears on my task bar and select "New Mail" so then a new mail window pops up with out having to have the actual program open, like when you right click on the libaraies icon and it shows Video, or right click on the internet icon and can chose from the list that pops up

so that it goes like this

Right click Windows Live Mail task bar icon >> select "New Mail" from the pop-up screen >> "new mail window opened like it would if you chose new mail from within the program"

If anyone knows how to do this then I would be your friend forever if you can tell me how
    Friday, July 3, 2009 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Jason

Open Windows Live Mail.
    Select File / New E-Mail Message.

This will open the Email compose window.
    In this window, select File / Save As.

Name the file New Email.eml and save it to the C:\Users\yourname folder.
    (Where yourname is the name of the user account you are logged on with)

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Users\yourname folder.

Drag the New Email.eml file down to the Taskbar and drop it onto the Windows Live Mail icon.

This will pin the file to that icon.

Right click the WLM Taskbar icon and select the New Email file to compose and send an email.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason

Open Windows Live Mail.
    Select File / New E-Mail Message.

This will open the Email compose window.
    In this window, select File / Save As.

Name the file New Email.eml and save it to the C:\Users\yourname folder.
    (Where yourname is the name of the user account you are logged on with)

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Users\yourname folder.

Drag the New Email.eml file down to the Taskbar and drop it onto the Windows Live Mail icon.

This will pin the file to that icon.

Right click the WLM Taskbar icon and select the New Email file to compose and send an email.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:33 AM
  • thanks that worked really cool thanks
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:25 PM