none
The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Question

• Hi

Recently i have had a few users in our domain unable to logon due to this error. To fix the issue  i have been deleting their local profile and then logging back on so they pick up the mandatory profile stored on the server and everything then works fine.

Server is running server 2008 r2 and workstations are running windows 7 pro. 

I have just noticed the below error in the event logs on a few of the affected machines.

Windows cannot copy file \\?\C:\Users\lnyberg\AppData\Local\Temp\jds1029303519.tmp\ to location \\?\UNC\CM-DC01$NOCSC$\Profiles$\StaffNew.V2\AppData\Local\Temp\jds1029303519.tmp\. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights. 

DETAIL - Access is denied.

Is this what could be causing the issue with logging on? I am a bit confused as to why it would be trying to copy a temp file back to the mandatory profile on the server.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Shane

Monday, February 22, 2016 3:18 PM

Answers

• Just found out what was creating this temporary file. Java has prompted the end users to update java which has then failed creating the temp file. The temp file then is not deleted and cannot be copied to the server so fails at logon. I will update java on all machines to fix this issues and prevent them from being able to update java. If this does happen again, deleting the temp file allows them to then log on.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Shane Walford,

"Is this what could be causing the issue with logging on?"
    Since this issue is related the temp files, we could delete the temp file directly.

According to the error messages " Access is denied", we could refer to the following link to have a troubleshoot.
    Using Process Monitor to solve any problem, including DebugDiag
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/benjaminperkins/archive/2013/05/03/using-process-monitor-to-solve-any-problem-including-debugdiag.aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Kindly have a look at the following link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7fb93109-218c-43d7-b29a-ceaffc598b58/user-profile-service-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w7itprogeneral

Balaji Kundalam

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:11 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply

I know why i get the error access denied, its because the machines are trying to copy temp files back to the mandatory profile stored on the server which is read only. If i go in and delete the temp files they can then log on.

Does anyone know what these temp files are and why they are trying to copy back to the profiles on the server?

Shane

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:02 AM
  • Just found out what was creating this temporary file. Java has prompted the end users to update java which has then failed creating the temp file. The temp file then is not deleted and cannot be copied to the server so fails at logon. I will update java on all machines to fix this issues and prevent them from being able to update java. If this does happen again, deleting the temp file allows them to then log on.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi Shane Walford,

I am glad you have figured out the issue by yourself and thanks for updating.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:09 AM