none
Modify Disk Allocation on Exchange 2010 DAG gives error 915 on size calculation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running DPM 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1, and have the DPM 2010 Rollup 2 package installed.

I set up a protection group yesterday for an Exchange 2010 DAG.  It was able to do the backup just fine and I haven't seen any issues with the protection.  But when I click Modify Disk Allocation I get several popup errors like this:

The operation failed because the data source VSS component 4e2eaefc-06a8-4722-a428-2644205aa206 is missing.

Check to see that the protected data source is installed properly  and the VSS writer service is running.

ID: 915
    Details: The operation completed successfully (0x0)

When I click Close on those errors the Modify Disk Allocation wizard appears to operate normally but under Data Size several of the databases show, instead of a number, the text "Calculation failed".

Searches haven't turned up much on this error other than its inclusion in the DPM 2010 error catalog.  Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this?   I have another protection group on the same DPM server with a different Exchange 2010 DAG and it doesn't have this problem.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

Since the other Protection Group on the same server is working normal, the rollup 2 wont be the cause of this issue. are you getting any event, while modying this.

Kindly check the data source server, any issue on that, whether VSS service running? DPMRA service is running etc.

Friday, July 15, 2011 6:46 AM
  • why isnt there any fix for this?
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I did "fix" it by removing and recreating the Protection Group for the affected DAG.  The problem has not reoccurred since then.  I was never able to find an actual fix without doing that workaround.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:09 PM