How to make a portable browser default RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 pretty much locks you into using Edge fairly solidly, but I don't wish to use it so I'd like to use a portable version of Opera. However so far I've not found a way to make Win10 allow me. 
    Can anyone suggest a method please?
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:44 AM

All replies

• You have asked in the wrong forum. This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. I will move this question to a more appropriate forum.

However, another option is to ask in a Microsoft Answers/Community forum dedicated to Windows 10 applications, such as this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10

The Answers/Community forums are on a different platform, so we cannot move this question there. You would need to ask your question again. Sorry.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Hi Boristhecat,

Depending on the Opera official website provides, it is cited by Opera that portable version does not support this. The only way I figured to use portable versions is to install the full version, then set it as default, and then you can use the portable version which Windows will detect as default, and use it like normal when opening links. There is no way to set a portable version as a default browser.

http://forums.opera.com/discussion/1881931/to-make-portable-version-as-default-browser/p1

You could set Opera to the default browser. Please refer to the link below.

https://blogs.opera.com/news/2015/07/how-to-change-your-default-browser-on-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:45 AM
  • Hey. This Post is a bit older, but i found a solution. I´ve made a Registry-file, that allows Windows to use, Opera Portable in this Case, as the default Browser. If you want me to share this file, just tell me here and i post it.
    • Edited by Joly0 Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 1:10 PM
  • Hey. This Post is a bit older, but i found a solution. I´ve made a Registry-file, that allows Windows to use, Opera Portable in this Case, as the default Browser. If you want me to share this file, just tell me here and i post it.
    If you share it, you make me a nice Christmas present
    • Proposed as answer by Joly0 Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:55 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 11:51 AM

If you share it, you make me a nice Christmas present

I dont know, if every of these lines is needed. The only thing i know is, that it works perfectly.

Just create an xyz.cmd file whereever your launcher.exe for opera portable is, paste in the following text and start the cmd file with admin rights. Thats it.

If it doesnt work, you should check, if Opera Portable is set as you default web browser inside the windows settings

The Code:

@Echo Off
    Title Reg Converter v1.1 & Color 1A
    cd %systemroot%\system32
    call :IsAdmin

Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "Opera HTML Document" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML" /v "AppUserModelId" /t REG_SZ /d "Opera" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\Application" /v "AppUserModelId" /t REG_SZ /d "Opera" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\Application" /v "ApplicationIcon" /t REG_SZ /d "%~dp0\launcher.exe,0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\Application" /v "ApplicationName" /t REG_SZ /d "Opera" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\Application" /v "ApplicationDescription" /t REG_SZ /d "Opera ist ein Webbrowser" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\Application" /v "ApplicationCompany" /t REG_SZ /d "Opera Software AS" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\DefaultIcon" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "%~dp0\launcher.exe,0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\OperaHTML\shell\open\command" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "\"%~dp0\launcher.exe\" -- \"%%1\"" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\launcher.exe\shell" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "open" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\launcher.exe\shell\open\command" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "\"%%~dp0\launcher.exe\" -osint -url \"%%1\"" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\launcher.exe\shell\open\ddeexec" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\OpenWithList" /v "a" /t REG_SZ /d "launcher.exe" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\OpenWithList" /v "MRUList" /t REG_SZ /d "a" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /v "htmlfile" /t REG_NONE /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.htm\OpenWithProgids" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_NONE /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithList" /v "a" /t REG_SZ /d "launcher.exe" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithList" /v "MRUList" /t REG_SZ /d "a" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithProgids" /v "htmlfile" /t REG_NONE /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithProgids" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_NONE /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts" /v "OperaHTML_http" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts" /v "OperaHTML_https" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts" /v "OperaHTML_.htm" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts" /v "OperaHTML_.html" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithProgIds" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html\OpenWithProgIds" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pdf\OpenWithProgids" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.shtml\OpenWithProgids" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.svg\OpenWithProgIds" /v "svgfile" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.svg\OpenWithProgIds" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.webp\OpenWithProgids" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xht\OpenWithProgIds" /v "xhtmlfile" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xht\OpenWithProgIds" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xhtml\OpenWithProgIds" /v "xhtmlfile" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xhtml\OpenWithProgIds" /v "OperaHTML" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    Exit

:IsAdmin
    Reg.exe query "HKU\S-1-5-19\Environment"
    If Not %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
     Cls & Echo You must have administrator rights to continue ... 
     Pause & Exit
    )
    Cls
    goto:eof

• Edited by Joly0 Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:27 AM Shortened the Code
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:56 AM