none
Windows Update gives me an older driver and partially installs it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I have an HP Elitedesk 800 G5 here, that plays a few games with the graphics card driver.

Fresh Win10 1909 x64 installation, still offline I install all drivers from HP, among others, also the graphics card driver in version 26.20.100.7261.
    If I then go online and look for updates, I will get the old version 25.20.100.6793.
    Respectively. according to the device manager, the ... 7261 is still installed, but the ... 6793 is downloaded and also installed (kinda?) according to the event log.

It is the same when I install the driver directly from Windows Update - without installing the HP driver beforehand.

Deactivating the driver updates via Windows updates is unfortunately out of the question for this device, because it will no longer be managed by me, but new hardware should still be able to be installed.

Any idea what that could be?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

Monday, March 9, 2020 6:48 AM

All replies

• Yes, several versions of a driver package can be installed on a machine, but usually the latest one is selected. This is the version that actually runs. As you're seeing on the last picture.

If you need more explanation on this, please visit the drivers forum.

-- pa

Monday, March 9, 2020 7:09 PM
  • Hi, 

Do you mean you can't get the latest update package from Device Manager and Windows Update?

As I know, Windows update will search for driver package from Microsoft online to update driver store which located in C:\Windows\system32. If Windows update can't find the latest driver, system will keep to use the previous version in driver store. So we could check the driver store version for your graphic. The driver store would be useful for using hardware as soon as system can when your computer can't connect to network or setup for first use.

But we would recommend to download driver directly from manufacturer website if it is available for you which is able to use the latest driver version.

Bests,

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 3:32 PM