sp_syspolicy_events_reader - cannot execute as the database principal

• I am receiving large numbers of this error (copied from the Application Event Log).  I can't seem to find any information on this error.  Can anyone help me understand when sp_syspolicy_events_reader would be called, and why it surfaces the error "cannot execute as the database principal ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##"??

Event Log: Application
    TimeGenerated: 01/21/2010 03:16:24
    Type: Information
    Category: Server
    Event: 9724
    Computer: XXXX
    Description: The activated proc '[dbo].[sp_syspolicy_events_reader]' running on queue 'msdb.dbo.syspolicy_event_queue' output the following:  'Cannot execute as the database principal because the principal "##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.'
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Take a look at this thread to see if it helps, see
    Chunsong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Thanks ChunSong, but this is way over my head.  There's no custom code running on my server, just a basic client-server database application... so I have no idea where these conversations are coming from.  How would I trace that down?

Friday, January 22, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Just chek if the principle is valid on master and msdb securables.

USE master
    SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals WHERE [name] = '##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##'
    USE msdb
    SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals WHERE [name] = '##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##'

If they found to orphaned users fix them using sp_change_users_login.

Sivaprasad S Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:06 AM
  • I realize this is old, but I've got SQL 2012 SP1 and just ran across this problem.  Here's what worked for me...

I had ##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin## in both MASTER and MSDB, but not in the server security folder.  So I went to each of those DBs and used sp_change_users_login like this:

use [master]
    exec sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', '##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##', NULL, 'UglyPassword01!';
    use [msdb]
    exec sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', '##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##', NULL, 'UglyPassword01!';

Now, I have no idea what impacts this has on anything, but the errors went away :)

John Nelson #2

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:59 PM