Windows 8 appears to shutdown -- but fan/lights still on. [Trace Attached] RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an Acer Laptop, listed as an Aspire 5560 (15") on their support site. Super-new, super-clean installed of Windows 8 onto an SSD. Everything seems to function fine, except that when I shutdown, the power light is still on.

Tried to run a trace, but I couldn't determine the cause: http://sdrv.ms/SNrodq

Any help, greatly appreciated. I've updated to the latest BIOS, and tried system with and without the latest ATi graphics drivers.

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:38 AM

Answers

• this seams to be a hardware issue. According to the trace your Windows shuts down in 9s. The trace is complete so Windows thinks the shutdown is complete.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• this seams to be a hardware issue. According to the trace your Windows shuts down in 9s. The trace is complete so Windows thinks the shutdown is complete.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Andre.

While I want to eventually figure it out, I'm not too worried about powering off my laptop if Windows has shut itself down successfully.

Anyway, I know you've been helping in out in the forums for a long time, and appreciate it.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:34 AM