Web Professional connections issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

the end users of the system I manage are experiencing extremely slow connection: when they open the web professional window, it takes ages for the page to load. Once the page is there, however, the browsing of the cube is as fast as usual.

Switching from one cube to the other is also a problem. Basically, IE gets stuck to the point where it says "Loading MyViews from http://..." for quite a while (more than 30sec) when it used to take not more than 3-4 secs.

In addition, if I open a web professional window from the server where PAS is located, I don't seem to have any problem.

I'm completely inexperienced on these kind of issues: if anyone has got any suggestions on where I should start looking at, or what kind of tests I could run to investigate, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Friday, July 4, 2008 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Val,

From your description it sounds like the clients could be having an issue finding the PAS and SQL servers on the network.  What you could try is have a user who is seeing poor performance use the IP address of the PAS (http://192.168.0.#/pas) or SQL server instead of the DNS name and see if it still runs slow.  If performance is fast using the IP address and slow using the DNS name there may be a name resolution problem in the environment.  How much time does it take when switching cubes via File->Open Cube and was performance previously faster with this as well?

Monday, July 7, 2008 3:47 PM
  • You may also try to narrow this down a bit.  Is it a particular My View?  Is it a particular users set of My Views?  Does it occur when opening a Briefing Book instead?  How about connecting to a view that connects to a different cube or cube server?

-Joey

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Hi

I have a similar kind of issue.

After I load the PAS page http://servername/instance/ I now try and click the "Launch Web Professional" icon.

Once I click the icon,it takes around 3 minutes to load the "connect" screen where i enter the olap server name.

It then works fine from then on.

In some of the client machines with ProClarity 6.3 installed it takes less than a minute to load while on some machines with ProClarity 6.3 installations on it, it takes around 3 minutes to load.

Does this mean that there is a problem with the client installation on the latter ?

Any ideas on what the problem could be ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Dan

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Difficult to say.  It might help if you are familiar with network traces and can run some traces from the client to see where the slow down comes from.  If you need help with that, you might think about opening an official case at either 1.800.Microsoft, or at the site linked at the top of this forum.

Also, as a side note, in the future if you have a new question it's generally best to start a thread, as sometimes new questions tacked onto old threads get lost and the community can't respond in a timely way.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:51 AM