Opening a .txt file RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a .txt file from someone which is supposed to be a guide for me to use for a document going forward. 

The person said the .txt file should convert into nicely into Word if I open it in Word, however it just looks the same as it does per the .txt file - same font, etc.  

I had (possibly wrongly) assumed that it would somehow look different.  It makes sense to me - the converted document is in English and has everything in it that I need, but it's just that it still is in the look and feel of a .txt doc.  I take it this is  normal / to be expected?  Am I expecting too much here?! 

Does this make sense?! 

FP 

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:07 PM

All replies

• .txt files look a little nicer in Word because the program automatically assigns default margins and a font, but they're still just plain text. If you add any formatting, the file will have to be saved as .docx, .doc or other word processing file to retain the styling.
    Friday, June 28, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi FP,

I’m agree with jkorchok.

If you want to open a .txt file with Word, it will actually display the same font as the .txt file.

Because the file is still a .txt file, you cannot save any font formatting changes or style changes made to the file. If you try to do this, you will get this error code:

If you add any formatting, the file will have to be saved as .docx, .doc or other word processing file to retain the styling.

Any updates, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Monday, July 1, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi FP,

How is everything going on with this issue

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards, 

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Friday, July 5, 2019 8:59 AM