none
DPM 2010 restore question RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up a remote site to be backed up by my corporate DPM server (off-site obviously).  ANyways, the other day I had the new server on the same LAN as the corp dpm box so I did a restore to that server.  This way, when I drive the server to my remote site, I only need to do a restore of any changes between then and the last backup as opposed to performing an entire restore.  Now - I have my server at the remote site - initiated a restore from myDPM server at the corp office.  Since the two servers being backed up/restored upon are now on the same LAN - it appears DPM is performing its restore over that site's LAN.  WHich I find iteresting considering my DPM server is here at the corporate office.  Can anyone provide any insight as to what is happening here?  Does DPM realize the two servers are on the same LAN and perform the restore on the LAN instead of restoring from the DPM disk drives which are at the corp office?  

Zach

Zach Smith
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hello Zack,

I'm not sure I understand your senario, question, but DPM stores recovery points for protected machines on local disks in the DPM storage pool. Restores of any disk based recovery points will always be from local DPM disks over the LAN connection to the destination server.  The only exception would be if you choose to perform SAN based recovery using hardware snapshot.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:03 PM