How can I remove workflow instance log? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my system have a huge work-flow instance log. I crash my application when I view log.

How can I remove workflow instance log?

Saturday, October 16, 2010 3:51 AM

Answers

• I got the answers to the questions I posted to our Product team:

Question: How do you manually groom entries that show under up Workflow Instances view ?
    Answer: Manual grooming is not supported, the system performs this automatically.

Question: How often does Service Manager groom these entries?
    Answer: Grooming kicks in at every midnight (server time) and grooms entries that are 7 days old. This value is not configurable by customers 

Thanks! Manoj Parvathaneni Microsoft System Center Support
    • Proposed as answer by Manoj Parvathaneni Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linh Nguyen Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:18 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Hi Anh,

Travis posted a blog on how to configure this setting using the database. Please read more details on this here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/12/07/more-aggressively-grooming-the-jobstatus-and-windowsworkflowtaskjobstatus-tables.aspx

• Marked as answer by Linh Nguyen Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:09 AM

All replies

• Are you referring to the View Log option under Administration workspace -> Workflows node and Status view?

If that's the case you can click on the Ignore button that should remove the entry for which you clicked on Ignore. Similarly you could do it for others. I don't remember if you can do multi select in that screen. The other option would be to update this in the database but that won't be a supported way of doing this.

In addition you may want to investigate which workflow is constantly failing and address the problem with that workflow so that it doesn't flood that view with errors.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hi Manoj Parvathaneni,

I refer to view log Administration workspace -> Workflows node and Status view.

with your suggestion:

Option 1: Ignore workflow install only have in Need Attention tab, In All Install tab doesn't existed. we have a huge number of instance in All install tab.

Option 2: If I update in database, It's risk because I don't know all reference object relationships which are related to log. 

Otherwise, my workflow run as interval (frequency is 10 minutes). workflow instance increase very quick.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Hi Anh, Do you mind sending a screen shot of the view where you see large number of entries to scsmbeta [at] live [dot] com?

-Manoj

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi all,

I run this SQL

Select [RuleName], Count (*) as RowNumber

From [ServiceManager].[dbo].Rule,[ServiceManager].[dbo].Rule.WindowsWorkflowTaskJobStatus b

where a.RuleId = b.RuleId group by RuleName.

Number of my workflow records is 4000. I think this number is acceptable,

but when I open Status view, memory of SCSM Console is more than 2G.

Is there any idea for my case?

Thanks and Regards.

Friday, October 22, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Anh, After looking at my lab closely I think I understand what your ask is. I'll follow up with our Product team on this request and let you know if there is a supported way of clearing the entries under View log.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Thanks, that's great, I'm waiting.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 6:18 AM
  • I got the answers to the questions I posted to our Product team:

Question: How do you manually groom entries that show under up Workflow Instances view ?
    Answer: Manual grooming is not supported, the system performs this automatically.

Question: How often does Service Manager groom these entries?
    Answer: Grooming kicks in at every midnight (server time) and grooms entries that are 7 days old. This value is not configurable by customers 

• Proposed as answer by Manoj Parvathaneni Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linh Nguyen Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:18 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:07 AM
  • Thanks Manoj, Your answer is very helpful :).
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:21 AM
  • Hi Anh,

Travis posted a blog on how to configure this setting using the database. Please read more details on this here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/12/07/more-aggressively-grooming-the-jobstatus-and-windowsworkflowtaskjobstatus-tables.aspx

• Marked as answer by Linh Nguyen Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:09 AM