TSWeb RDS 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, guys.

I am trying to get old style ts-web behavior, with the ability to get remote desktop inside the web browser.

Back in server 2k3 it was done using tsweb and activex control. How this can be done in 2012 r2?

I currently have 2 RDS servers alive and kicking, one of them holds remoteapps collection and the other i'm trying to configure to provide the mentioned functionality.

Any help will be highly appreciated

If you find this post helpful, spend a second to vote up. Smoking~~

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On current windows operating systems, the activex control is already installed.  If you want to recreate the old behavior then you can create a html page with similar code as existed in the old versions.  I've not tested it with the latest versions of the activex, but I believe it should work since the same interfaces are there.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Friday, November 13, 2015 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:59 AM

All replies

• Well, as the threat was not answered yet, i'll add what i found so far:

The original tsweb functionality was deprecated and not available in server 2012,  

It was provided using Activex and mstscax.dll. So in theory there still should be a way to get it work on 2012.

I will keep searching, and post here if i will find a way to make it work

Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

To be able to publish full remote desktop in RD Web Access on Windows Server 2012/R2, we need to unpublish all remoteapp programs first.

Best Regards,
    Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 6, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

To be able to publish full remote desktop in RD Web Access on Windows Server 2012/R2, we need to unpublish all remoteapp programs first.

Best Regards,
    Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi, Amy.

Unpublishing RemoteApps provides simple asp page that opens msts with given server name. 

From what i understand it does not provide the ability to create the session inside the browser..

Did i miss something?

Monday, November 9, 2015 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

I may have misunderstood your requirement, when we un-publish all RemoteApp programs on Windows Server 2012/R2, full remote desktops would be published with collection name as below:

If you want to publish customized .rdp file through RD Web Access, you would need to customize RD Web page, which is not officially supported.

Best Regards,

Amy

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

On current windows operating systems, the activex control is already installed.  If you want to recreate the old behavior then you can create a html page with similar code as existed in the old versions.  I've not tested it with the latest versions of the activex, but I believe it should work since the same interfaces are there.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Friday, November 13, 2015 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, December 3, 2015 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:59 AM
  • Hi and thanks for your replies.

Amy i did mean old behavior, mentioned here: and looks like this:

After doing more researches on the subject i ended with the need to customize asp pages and messing up with activex.

-- TP, I tried taking the relevant pages out from Server 2003 and bringing it to 2012, but ended with mess of files and not working activex control with no logs, no errors, nothing that could point me to what needs to be fixed.

I found this page and was able to make it, but once i click connect it makes a call to local mstsc.exe and passes it server name and credentials.

So, as i lack knowledge in programming languages i wasn't able to create something more useful..

Thank you very much again for taking time to reply!

• Edited by SuperUzer Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:49 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:38 AM