Hyper-V gimping management OS graphics card RRS feed

• Question

• Hello guys,

I recently installed the WP8 SDK alongside VS2013, and as a perquisite it of course installed Hyper-V, after a while I noticed a pretty big performance drop in most of the games on my machine, games I used to run at a steady 50-60 FPS experienced drops to 15-20 FPS.

This happened in almost all games, and almost all of them are recent ones that are confirmed to work with Windows 8 (I run the Pro x64 SKU), so I set about troubleshooting the issue, I found that with Hyper-V enable in Windows features, all the games underutilized my graphics card, using GPU Shark I found that most games never use even 35% of the card's capability.

I un-installed Hyper-V, only to find out my performance levels are back to normal.

Question is, is there a way to have Hyper-V enabled and not suffer this horrid performance drop? and why is this problem happening in the first place? (I know the Hyper-V doesn't work like Virtual PC when it comes to the hardware and drivers of the host OS).

I seriously need to fix this problem since I need Hyper-V for WP8 app development, and I'm a serious gamer so I need my games as well.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:44 PM

Answers