Error Creating New Web Applications in SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to create a new web application in a SharePoint 2007 farm I am getting the following error message in the ULS logs:

Provisioning of the web application, null, has encountered the following error: System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.

I have tried creating the web application via Central Admin, stsadm -o extendvs, and the powershell method Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplicationBuilder.Create. In powershell the error is slightly different:

Exception calling "Create" with "0" argument(s): "Value does not fall within the expected range."

I have tried creating the web application using a new application pool as well as using an existing application pool.

Friday, December 23, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check if this link helps http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/98ab7051-36ab-441f-86d1-2ee023e553bd/

Thanks,
    SKancharla

Srikanth Kancharla
    Friday, December 23, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Hi,

What is the application pool identity are you using?  Is it network service or something else?

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Rahul,

I have tried using the network service account as well as a domain account...even the farm account. The error is the same in each case.

Thanks! 

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Hi Shane,

What is the version of your IIS?

If the version is 7.0 or 7.5, you can check the identity of this Application pool. You should prevent it from using ApplicationPoolIdentity, and try to use Network Service to see if it can fix this issue.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:35 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Pengyu,

Thanks for the reply but I have already tried creating the web app with app pools running as domain accounts and Network Service. The error message still occurs.

Friday, December 30, 2011 4:29 PM