Office 2016 Update not showing in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am having a strange issue.

When i search for the KB 3178703 which resolves the CVE-2017-0199 I don't see it in WSUS under all Updates.

I have confirmed the below:

- Filter set to All except denied and status any for All Updates

- Confirmed that Office 2016 Security Updates are configured to be downloaded

One thing i did notice was when i look at the description of the security update here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3178703/description-of-the-security-update-for-office-2016-april-11-2017

I don't see WSUS as a deployment method. I do see WSUS as a deployment method on the windows server updates.
    Could this be why I don't see it in WSUS as an available patch?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

DC

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• After looking at this further i believe i have also noticed that superseded updates and set to decline. Also There is a script that will clear out the superseded updates.
    So I am guessing this could cause the KB not to show?

Has anyone else had or seen this issue before?

Thanks

DC

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 10:58 AM
  • Are your Office 2016 clients installed from Office 365 or VL Media from the VSLC?

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:55 PM
  • After looking at this further i believe i have also noticed that superseded updates and set to decline. Also There is a script that will clear out the superseded updates.

Thanks

DC

if you routinely decline superseded updates on your WSUS (manually or via script or whatever), then since this update is superseded several times over, it's likely to be that as cause. MUCatalog shows KB3178703 superseded by;

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB3191882) 32-Bit Edition

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011126) 32-Bit Edition

You can modify your views/filters in the WSUS console (or create a new view), to see any/all including Declined, if you wish. That allows to to un-decline, in case you ever want to do that.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, October 6, 2017 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by douglas-carson Friday, October 6, 2017 11:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:09 PM

Thanks

DC

if you routinely decline superseded updates on your WSUS (manually or via script or whatever), then since this update is superseded several times over, it's likely to be that as cause. MUCatalog shows KB3178703 superseded by;

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB3191882) 32-Bit Edition

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB4011126) 32-Bit Edition

You can modify your views/filters in the WSUS console (or create a new view), to see any/all including Declined, if you wish. That allows to to un-decline, in case you ever want to do that.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Unless you're using my WSUS Cleanup/Maintenance script and it's past the point of the Quarter of the year (months 1,4,7,10) as my script will Remove Declined WSUS Updates from the WSUS Metabase/Database every Quarter. If this is the case, you'd have to re-import the update from the Catalog if you needed it back.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:19 PM
  • Hello,

In addition, as this update is replaced by new updates, why not installing the newest one(KB4011126)?

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for the responses guys they were very helpful in understanding what was going on.

Regards

DC

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:05 AM