none
VMWare Consolidated Backup RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to take backups of server snapshots within our ESX environment.  I know that it is possible to use 3rd party apps such as BackupExec in conjuction with Consolidated backup, but I'm curious about DPM.

Has anyone here used DPM2010 along side VMWare Consolidated Backup to back up their ESX virtual environment?    Is there any support or documentation for DPM2010 to work with Consolidated Backup?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

• Folks, the original poster is asking about VMWare Consolidated Backup. This is a specific backup product from VMWare. He is NOT talking about backing guest windows virtuals, or about backing up the ESX hosts.

Consolidated backup works by allowing a windows server to share the same SAN storage that ESX hosts share. In other words, you end up with a Windows server that can "see" all of the virtual hard disk files (think vhd files) as a native windows file system. Furthermore, they have code that makes ESX "snaphot" (present as consistant) the virtual disk files so that any windows backup agent could (in theory) then backup the virtual disk files to tape or whatever.

I don't think DPM will work in this scenario directly. DPM *only* works with NTFS file system, and it does its work by installing a hook that journals file writes. The would not work with the VMFS file system driver the VMWare uses.

I suppose what might work is to have enough disk in the consolodated backup server so that you periodicly snap your vmdk files, copy the vmdk files to an NTFS file system, then let DPM back up that file system.

• Marked as answer by DBruceM2 Friday, August 6, 2010 8:34 PM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hi DBruceM2!

If your running an WmWare enviroment it's fully operational of backin up the virtual servers data. The most important thing is that you CAN'T do a "virtual server backup" or host-based-backup becauase WmWare (or ESX) isn't an supported OS platform for DPM.

BUT, you can still backup that data located on our virtual servers using the guest-level backup, that is installing an agent on the virtual OS and letting DPM manage that local data.

I have worked with other backup software but I think that DPM is for now the most operational and fully-covered backup solution for small-, mid- and enterprice-sollutions. I'm not a sales person just a happy consultant =)

If you have any other question regarding DPM please post them and I will try to answer them.

Have a good one!

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:48 PM
  • I believe that the DPM server can only see a machine which is part of a Domain
    DPM 2010 enables you to protect computers that are in workgroups. Anyway, you can't backup ESX host.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi DBruceM2!

If your running an WmWare enviroment it's fully operational of backin up the virtual servers data. The most important thing is that you CAN'T do a "virtual server backup" or host-based-backup becauase WmWare (or ESX) isn't an supported OS platform for DPM.

BUT, you can still backup that data located on our virtual servers using the guest-level backup, that is installing an agent on the virtual OS and letting DPM manage that local data.

I have worked with other backup software but I think that DPM is for now the most operational and fully-covered backup solution for small-, mid- and enterprice-sollutions. I'm not a sales person just a happy consultant =)

If you have any other question regarding DPM please post them and I will try to answer them.

Have a good one!

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Hey,

We actually protect VMWare guests with DPM in some environments of our customers.  Check out following post to protect ESX with DPM

http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm/archive/2010/04/08/backup-vmware-virtual-machines.aspx

Cheers,

Mike

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:17 AM
  • I can confirm that DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 agents are able to backup all supported versions of SQL, Exchange, File servers running as guests on the Vmware 3.x and 4.x hosts using guest-level backup with no problems. I'm not even sure that you'll need Consolidated Backup in such env. Only for host-level backups of the virtual servers, but you can make a few server templates and use DPM for system state and app level backups only. And I'm not a sales either :-)
    Friday, July 23, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for their replies.

We currently have a (test) DPM server in our central office, and we have several ESXi hosts in a remote office that we back up using the agents for simple file backups.  That works really well. 

I guess I should have clarified my intention.  We would be interested in backing up the full VM snapshots that are created by Consolidated Backup.  VMWare documentation shows the use of the Service Console for generating the snapshots, and DPM would backup these snapshots via DPM agent.  My assumption is that it is possible, however I was just curious if anyone has it set up to do that.  Or if they are using a different type of config/model.

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

Although more experienced and experts have already answered the question but I'd like to add just another line to it.

I believe that the DPM server can only see a machine which is part of a Domain and I think that an ESX or ESXi cannot join a domain.

Hence, only guest machines can be backed up by DPM and not the host machines.

Thx,

Seeker

Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I believe that the DPM server can only see a machine which is part of a Domain
    DPM 2010 enables you to protect computers that are in workgroups. Anyway, you can't backup ESX host.
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Folks, the original poster is asking about VMWare Consolidated Backup. This is a specific backup product from VMWare. He is NOT talking about backing guest windows virtuals, or about backing up the ESX hosts.

Consolidated backup works by allowing a windows server to share the same SAN storage that ESX hosts share. In other words, you end up with a Windows server that can "see" all of the virtual hard disk files (think vhd files) as a native windows file system. Furthermore, they have code that makes ESX "snaphot" (present as consistant) the virtual disk files so that any windows backup agent could (in theory) then backup the virtual disk files to tape or whatever.

I don't think DPM will work in this scenario directly. DPM *only* works with NTFS file system, and it does its work by installing a hook that journals file writes. The would not work with the VMFS file system driver the VMWare uses.

I suppose what might work is to have enough disk in the consolodated backup server so that you periodicly snap your vmdk files, copy the vmdk files to an NTFS file system, then let DPM back up that file system.

• Marked as answer by DBruceM2 Friday, August 6, 2010 8:34 PM
    Friday, August 6, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Thank you kcornet.  This is exactly what I was looking for.   It is the vmdk files in which we are looking to back up.  This gives me a lot to think about.
    Friday, August 6, 2010 9:00 PM