No new MS updates show when running MSUPDATES RRS feed

• Question

• System is running XPP SP3, MSUPDATES show no pending (new) updates. Tried to run MS FixIT program but didn't resolve problem. Tried to rename C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution folder to .old but didn't fix problem either. Switched back to Windows Updates then back to Microsoft Updates but didn't fix problem. Checked for viruses and spyware, everything came back clean. This is the only system in network having this problem. As far as I can tell there are about 132 high priority updates not being displayed for installation. Looks like something is corrupted not sure of steps to restart download MS Updates catalogs. Any Ideas?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:47 PM

All replies

• try the following:

Log on as an administrator, and run cmd.exe, and issue the following commands:

net stop wuauserv

cd \windows\system32

regsvr32 wups2.dll

net start wuauserv

if it not work please check this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

feroz syed ;)
    • Edited by Feroz syed Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Tried the steps but didn't help. When I run MS Updates, it doesn't even show any new critical update to download. I don't get any errors trying to download or install updates as no updates are shown to download.  Any Ideas? My windows update is also the latest version.

Is there a way to remove the catalog and have windows download all the updates as if they were never installed?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:08 PM
  • The solution for this problem is re-registering some DLL-files. The steps below fix the problem if auto updates fail after a fresh install of Windows XP SP3

Open Start, Run, and run these commands, one by one:

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

You can also open Notepad, paste the above commands, save the file as RepairAU.bat, and run RepairAU.bat. This should save you approximaticaly 20 seconds of your lifetime :-)

Next time you open Windows Update / Microsoft Update, you should have no problems installing new updates.

Note: I surely believe Microsoft feels very sorry for this bug in SP3, and they really want to offer a hotfix for this problem, but since this hotfix would be offered by Automatic Updates, that won’t make much sense

Dontforget to mark as answer if its work

Good Luck

feroz syed ;)
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:33 PM