USB Drives works, but does not show up in "Safely Remove Hardware" RRS feed

• Question

• USB Drives works, but does not show up in "Safely Remove Hardware"
    Here are my symptom

- USB Flash Drives , USB External HDD works normally

- I can see them in "My Computer"

- I can open "Safely Remove Hardware" via Run Command, but there is no device in the list

- They show up as "Disk drives" in device manager

- When I right click their icons in "My Computer", there is no option to "Eject" them

- In "Disk Management", they show up as "Basic". Prior to this issue, they were "Removable"

After I tested, it seems that my Vista detects every USB storage device as a normal HDD.
    I don't know why but I'd appreciate any help because I have to plug-in and remove those drives often, especially flash drives.

Thank you

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:48 PM

All replies

• Unless you have changed the default and providing you are careful, clicking the ‘Safely Remove’ icon for a USB device is not necessary. Close any Explorer window that is open and wait a few seconds for the device to finish writing data before unplugging it.

With a device plugged in, right-click Computer, click Properties > Device Manager (in the left pane) to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it, click Properties > Policies Tab and check the box ‘Optimize for quick removal’. A USB ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Restart the computer if you change anything. Internal hard disk drives use ‘Optimize for performance‘ and ‘Enable write caching on the disk’.

I suggest you always use the same port and don’t be too hasty in unplugging a device. Also, a common hardware problem is a bad connection caused by repeated off-angle insertions and removals. Where possible plug the device into an extension lead.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:45 AM Typing error
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 8:43 AM