none
Send connector and address spaces

Question

• Hi,

excuse me for writing here regarding an Exchange Server 2010, but I couldn't find Exchange 2010 in the drop-down list.

In our IT environment we have two Exchange Server 2010 SP3 - the first one is configured with CAS and HUB Transport roles, the second one is configured with a Mailbox role. Our IT manager took a decision to distribute the outgoing mail traffic between two smart hosts - all the messages, sent to contoso.com to be routed through smart host 1, the rest messages to be routed through smart host 2. I looked at the current send connector and found, that at present all the messages are being routed through one smart host and the address space is set to * (asterisk), which means that all the mail flow is processed by the listed smart host.

Unfortunately I couldn't find detailed explanation about how to configure the send connector for routing the messages to a certain domain through smart host 1 and routing the rest messages through smart host 2. Somewhere I have read that this functionality can be achieved by adding an Edge Transport server, which will do the mail flow separation among the smart hosts. Does anybody know whether do I need an Edge Transport server and in case I do not need for the task, how to configure the existing send connector?

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:06 PM

All replies

• you need a second send connector with address space contoso.com as well as your send connector to *
    • Edited by Jon.Knight Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:08 PM
  •        

Hi Anton Vasilev,

According to your description, no need to deploy Edge Sever. Create two send connectors and configure them as follows:

Host1:

Open EMC, click organization configuration-> Hub transport server. Right click->click new send connector.

Then follow this steps below:

• Select Internet.

• Click Add to enter the address space.

• Select Route mail through the following smart hosts, then click Add, enter the IP address of host1:

• Click add to select the souce server.

• Click New to complete to create a send connector.

Host2 is same with Host1 except the following settings:

• The adress space is set as *.

• The IP adress is set as the IP adress of Host 2.

Now the two send connectors are created successfully.

Exchange will select the connector with the more precise address match. In your case, it’s host1.

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Manu Meng! Should I have to set the cost to equal values for both connectors or each connector to be set with different cost?
    Friday, June 30, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Manu Meng! Should I have to set the cost to equal values for both connectors or each connector to be set with different cost?
    Just set the cost to equal values for both connectors.

Best Regards,

Manu Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 3, 2017 2:29 AM