Using Filters on a Data View web part from a SOAP Query RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SOAP query that pulled in information from a list that I want to create a Data View Web Part for. When I enabled the "Sort & Filter on Headers" option in SP designer I noticed an issue.

Sort works perfectly fine, but when when it comes to filtering I get a message on all my columns that says "This column type cannot be filtered"

The field type for all of the columns is "Text," so it's not really anything special. I have no clue why they cannot be filtered. This is occurring in SharePoint 2010.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Ramana,

From your description, you have a SOAP Query to pull information from a list, then you create a data view web part for it. But when you want to filter the items, an error occurs.

Per my research, it seems to be a known issue of service type column when you use data view web part, it will give up the sorting and filtering capabilities in column headers. Here is the link for reference:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/bd0c50b5-66b9-403e-a064-40f87c419623/filtering-lookup-column-in-dataview?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

You can try to use the list as Data Source directly rather than using Soap Query then compare the result.

Best regards,                                                                                                       

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Aaren,

Thanks for the reply. In my case the reason I chose SOAP was because the list I am pulling from is on another site, so it was my only option. Looks like many users face the same issue that I have and there currently isn't a fix other than using the "Grouping Toolbar" provided by SPD. 

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Hi Ramana V,

If you want to display lists across sites, there is a simple way.

For example, you want to display a list from Site B in Site A.

You can create a page in Site B, add the list via list view web part. Then copy the URL of the page.

Go back to Site A, edit the page you want to add the list, add a Page View web part then paste the URL in "open the tool pane" and adjust the web part.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:00 AM