Outlook 2016 wont open link without IE RRS feed

• Question

• here is my deal...it seems outlook 2016 will only open up links if IE is installed. even if chrome or firefox is set as web browser default.  does IE really need to be installed ???? help please !!

Image result for your organization policies are preventing

Thanks

Steve

Steven J Einhorn

• Edited by Trapps Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:22 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Does this issue only occur to Outlook? Can you open links from other applications? Such as Word?

According to my research, one possible reason of hyperlinks not working in Outlook is the default Internet browser not registered properly in your operating system.

Please set Chrome or Firefox as default before uninstalling IE to prevent the problem.

In your case, you can reinstall IE and then set IE and Outlook as the default app. Check if links work correctly.

If yes, exit Outlook and change Chrome to the default browser again. Opened Outlook to test the result.

(Note: Before changing the default browser, close Chrome / Firefox and make sure that no chrome.exe or firefox.exe process is running in Task Manager when you set IE as the default browser. And vice versa)

If issue persists, we can try resetting Internet Explorer settings and then set default browser again.

• Verify that your Outlook is closed.
    • Open Control Panel > Internet Options.
    • Switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, May 24, 2019 12:31 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Does this issue only occur to Outlook? Can you open links from other applications? Such as Word?

According to my research, one possible reason of hyperlinks not working in Outlook is the default Internet browser not registered properly in your operating system.

Please set Chrome or Firefox as default before uninstalling IE to prevent the problem.

In your case, you can reinstall IE and then set IE and Outlook as the default app. Check if links work correctly.

If yes, exit Outlook and change Chrome to the default browser again. Opened Outlook to test the result.

(Note: Before changing the default browser, close Chrome / Firefox and make sure that no chrome.exe or firefox.exe process is running in Task Manager when you set IE as the default browser. And vice versa)

If issue persists, we can try resetting Internet Explorer settings and then set default browser again.

• Verify that your Outlook is closed.
    • Open Control Panel > Internet Options.
    • Switch to the Advanced tab and click the Reset button.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Trapps Friday, May 24, 2019 12:31 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 3:01 AM
  • i have tried all that, im not gonna worry about,,i was having a problem with IE disappearing from a few machines here, no reason why, maybe an update, it has calmed way down now.

Thank You !

Steven J Einhorn

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Uninstall Chrome, than run a quick repair to Outlook / Office through appwiz.cpl
    Friday, May 24, 2019 4:14 PM