none
deleting tasks from baselined schedule after BL finish date RRS feed

• Question

• How should baselined tasks that went unstarted throughtout the project period of performance be removed.  Do I rebaseline the project at closeout and take them out completely as if they never were there, thus changing the task number count or do leave the tasks in and reduce thier costs and durations to zero?  

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:18 PM

Answers

• EVM Practitioner --

The best practice we recommend to all of our students and clients is to NEVER delete any task that has been baselined.  The reason
    for this is because you are essentially destroying baseline data, and in doing so, you create negative variance in your project with
    no way to prove or document WHY you have negative variance.

The best practice we recommend is to cancel unneeded tasks.  As John succinctly pointed out, if you have the Professional version of
    Microsoft Project 2010, you can use the Inactivate feature to cancel the task.  If you have the Standard version of Microsoft
    Project 2010, or have any earlier version of the software, you can cancel a task by setting its Remaining Work to 0 hours.  When you
    do this on a task with no progress, Microsoft Project changes the Gantt Chart symbol to the milestone symbol, which is the black
    diamond.  Since the cancelled task is not a true milestone at all, I recommend that you double-click the milestone symbol for the
    cancelled task and select an alternate symbol that you will designate for all cancelled tasks.  Furthermore, using either method I
    recommend you also add a note to document why you cancelled the task.

Hope this additional thought helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• EVM Practicioner,

It depends on which version of Project you are using. If you have Project 2010, you could use the Inactive tasks feature that was added in Project 2010 (Task/schedule group/Inactivate icon).

For earlier versions of Project (or even for Project 2010), the main questions to ask are, what happened to the budget that was allocated for those tasks and if those tasks were part of the plan, how is the plan getting completed without those tasks? If the tasks were for contingency only, then you may or may not want to simply delete them. As soon as it was recognized they would not be done, the plan should have been re-baselined without them, if you need earned value metrics to be meaningful.

It really depends on your specific situation. If your plan is part of a contract or under formal change control, there should be a formal process for dealing with "extraneous" tasks. If your plan isn't that formal, then you should do whatever meets your end goal.

At least those are my thoughts. Hopefully you will get input from others.

John

Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:33 PM
  • EVM Practitioner --

The best practice we recommend to all of our students and clients is to NEVER delete any task that has been baselined.  The reason
    for this is because you are essentially destroying baseline data, and in doing so, you create negative variance in your project with
    no way to prove or document WHY you have negative variance.

The best practice we recommend is to cancel unneeded tasks.  As John succinctly pointed out, if you have the Professional version of
    Microsoft Project 2010, you can use the Inactivate feature to cancel the task.  If you have the Standard version of Microsoft
    Project 2010, or have any earlier version of the software, you can cancel a task by setting its Remaining Work to 0 hours.  When you
    do this on a task with no progress, Microsoft Project changes the Gantt Chart symbol to the milestone symbol, which is the black
    diamond.  Since the cancelled task is not a true milestone at all, I recommend that you double-click the milestone symbol for the
    cancelled task and select an alternate symbol that you will designate for all cancelled tasks.  Furthermore, using either method I
    recommend you also add a note to document why you cancelled the task.

Hope this additional thought helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:27 PM