DFS replication. HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED) RRS feed

• Question

• This is a new DFS installation. There are two members DFS replication group. Both of them are located in same AD domain and in same AD site. Both servers are Win2008r2x64.

When I go to DFS Management console -> Replication -> Replication Group -> Connections Tab. Right click on FIRST SERVER and choose "Replicate Now..." I get en error "The member "SECOND SERVER" could not be contacted to get current schedule status. The error returned was "Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)). Do you still want to attempt to override the schedule For this member?".

The replication is not passing through.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally 0x80070005 is caused if we do not have permission to access the target folder. Please try to directly access the folder with \\server\<sharefolder> to see if it is accessable. You can also try to add Everyone and set to Full Control on the target folder just for a test to see if it is a permission issue.

As it is a new created DFS group, if you acccept, please help follow the steps listed in the following article to create a test DFS environment. This can help us confirm if all necessary steps are performed correctly.

DFS Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863(WS.10).aspx

• Marked as answer by Shaykin Sergey Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally 0x80070005 is caused if we do not have permission to access the target folder. Please try to directly access the folder with \\server\<sharefolder> to see if it is accessable. You can also try to add Everyone and set to Full Control on the target folder just for a test to see if it is a permission issue.

As it is a new created DFS group, if you acccept, please help follow the steps listed in the following article to create a test DFS environment. This can help us confirm if all necessary steps are performed correctly.

DFS Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Server 2008

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863(WS.10).aspx

• Marked as answer by Shaykin Sergey Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:08 AM
  • I've recreated test DFS share on both servers and set sharing to Everyone - Full Control and it seams to work. Thanks for that. Looks like that was some permission issue. But now I get different error message.

When I'm connected to the second server and I force replication from the first to the second everything works fine and replication starts without any errors. But when I'm connected to the first server and I force replication from the first to the second I get an error. "The member SECOND SERVER could not be contacted to get current schedule status. The error returned was "The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))". Do you still want to attempt to override the schedule for this member?". This error appears only on the first server, not on the second one. But the replication works both ways so I think that this is not critical and I can live with it.

Shaon, thanks for your help.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:02 AM
  • I've recreated test DFS share on both servers and set sharing to Everyone - Full Control and it seams to work. Thanks for that. Looks like that was some permission issue. But now I get different error message.

When I'm connected to the second server and I force replication from the first to the second everything works fine and replication starts without any errors. But when I'm connected to the first server and I force replication from the first to the second I get an error. "The member SECOND SERVER could not be contacted to get current schedule status. The error returned was "The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))". Do you still want to attempt to override the schedule for this member?". This error appears only on the first server, not on the second one. But the replication works both ways so I think that this is not critical and I can live with it.

Shaon, thanks for your help.

Reboot the file server to resolve this. That's what I did.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I realize that this is an old thread but I have just started receiving this error (0x80010108) and this thread is the only think I have found that is even close to what I am getting.

I have DFSR set up (Server1 <--> Server2) and if I try to force relication in either direction from Server1, I get this error.  If I try to force replication in either direction on Server2, it tells me that it was successful in resuming the schedule.  As far as I can tell, though, nothing is being replicated any more.  There are no entries in the event log that indicate any kind of a problem but it just won't work.  I will try the reboot fix if necessary but I would prefer to avoid that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bert

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Well, I'm not sure what's going on but I just closed the DFS console, reopend it and everything appears to work 100%.

Bert

• Proposed as answer by Ali_Zand Sunday, August 19, 2018 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:10 AM
  • Well, I'm not sure what's going on but I just closed the DFS console, reopend it and everything appears to work 100%.

Bert

That solved my problem. So simple, so stupid! Thanks!

• Edited by t_scholem Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:14 PM

Bert

That solved my problem. So simple, so stupid! Thanks!

I also had this problem since yesterday and have spent hours trying to solve it. The simple closing and re-opening of the DFS console solved it.

Thanks!

Saturday, November 7, 2015 5:54 AM
  • Unbelievable, I also had this problem and the simple closing and reopening of the DFS console resolved it. 
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:57 PM
  • This works in 2020 also.
    Sunday, March 15, 2020 7:30 AM