none
Searching "All Mail Items" gives error "Cannot display the folder"

Question

• Outlook 2010 running on Exchange 2010

When I click on the "All Mail Items" or the "All Outlook Items" buttons in the search scope section of the search tools ribbon, I just get the message "Cannot display the folder". The same thing happens if I use either of the "Find Related" functions on an individual email.

Screenshot http://i.imgur.com/K5ZAGrI.png

Searching still works fine for "Current Folders" and "All Subfolders"

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using online Exchange mode or cached Exchange mode? Please try switching online/cache Exchange mode and test the issue again.

Have you tried searching in Outlook safe mode? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

If you are using cached Exchange mode, we may also try rebuilding the index to see if it helps. To do this, exit Outlook and go to Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced, click the Rebuild button. When it completes, test the issue again.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using online Exchange mode or cached Exchange mode? Please try switching online/cache Exchange mode and test the issue again.

Have you tried searching in Outlook safe mode? Press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter.

If you are using cached Exchange mode, we may also try rebuilding the index to see if it helps. To do this, exit Outlook and go to Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced, click the Rebuild button. When it completes, test the issue again.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Not the original poster, but just wanted to add this information for any other SysAdmin who may be experiencing a similar problem. I had the same issue as the poster above and followed Steve's advice of re-indexing and everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks!

• Edited by EvanC119 Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:30 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:30 PM