Datasheet View text Black Out in Field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can someone tell me what I need to check to fix this issue, some of our users are experiencing the text in a field going black, i.e. like highlighting the text and it goes black rather than transparent blue. It happens when they leave a field after typing something in.I do not have any access to the SP server, it is a corporate application based somewhere in the US, and I do not have any knowledge of coding with SP so can I ask not to post big coding solutions, I have no idea about that or where to start. How can this be ok then start doing this?

Thanks

VBDev

Andrew (MCDST)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:12 AM

Answers

• Spoke with support and they did help me figure out a way to fix my problem but really didnt really provide why it happens.  So needless to say Im not 100% on whats going on here or the fix I have but i do know that the blackouts dont happen anymore.

When we exported the list to access the column that was having blackouts was set as memo with rich text and Calibri font.  This setting is under table tools > Fields > Data Type (on ribbon (2010)).  If we change the type from "memo" to "text" and then import the list back in it corrects the problem.  This is because basically the column changes from rich text to plain text which removes all the HTML formatting in column. 

I did find that if you dont want to export and import the list back you can open the list as linked in access and make changes.  If you do it this way it will only allow  you to change the column to plain text (under memo settings).  In my case it left behind the <div></div> html tags and I used the find and replace feature to remove them and all the changes were immidiatly made on the list. 

The links for the issue being related to the font type I do believe have some merrit for what might be causing this but like i said earlier im not 100%.  I think that when rich text is used in access it converts to ms sans serriff while being uploaded to sharepoint and this is not a valid font in sharepoint any more.  When you change the data to plain text it no longer is using any type of font formatting which in returns corrects the issue.

The only reason why Im a little unhappy with this solution is because what if i need the rich text formatting.  Am I just SOL or is this a bug between access and sharepoint?

This may not be the only way to correct the problem but it did work for me and maybe it will lead someone else in the direction of finding the proper way.  Hope this helps.

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• Andrew - Not sure what the issue is. Are you able to post a screenshot of that somewhere? That might help.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:13 AM
  • This problem just occured for me this morning. I have the problem in both data sheet view, standard view, and edit view. I cannot remove the markup if that is what it is. I tried to clear the field and save an empty field but that did not fixe the problem. I will  add image attachments.

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I don't think it's a SharePoint issue. It's most likely a browser issue or isolated to the user's profile on that computer. Do you have the same problem if someone else logs into that computer or if the same user access the site from another computer?

Pman

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:01 AM
  • This sounds like a CSS style issue to me.  2007 has an interesting way of setting the background of the datasheet view in the browser.  Check if there are any style sheet override settings for the user in question and see if the HTML body background color is being overridden.

- Xenox G.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:31 AM
  • Newbie you are not alone.  I was informed today that we have this very issue on a list that was just created but im running sharepoint 2010, office 2010 (32 and 64 versions) and we have IE 8,9,10 users that are all seeing the same problem.  All of our users are on windows 7 and im running windows 8 so its not OS or IE specific it seems.

Its very strange that i have never seen this before and all the post i find on this subject seem to appear within the last few months.

So far the only way i know to fix is cut the info from the column past in word remove the black background and then copy back but this is not a fix.  I really want to know what is causing it.

What formatting do you have on the column?  is it multiple lines of txt with rich text as the setting?

I might open a ticket on this and i will post back with what ever the "pros" determine. 

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:00 PM
  • I personally haven't seen this issue, so can't really say much. Are you guys using any customized theme for your sharepoint site? As Xenox suggested, it could be because of CSS style if you're using any customized theme or overwriting any CSS style for an out of the box theme.

Other than that, I still doubt it's a SharePoint issue. For version 2007, Datasheet uses ActiveX that comes with Microsoft Office Web Component 2003, I believe. Try repair/reinstalling that or reinstall Office application on the computer.

Also, take a look at the following thread, in case it helps.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointgenerallegacy/thread/9150a701-ac1e-4a6e-8129-b33888935f18/

Pman

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:20 AM
  • I did discovery yesterday that the column is trying to use a font that is nolonger supported.  ms sans serriff is now microsoft sans serriff and when you try and type something into the column it doesnt know the formatt and then picks ariel as the default and then thats when the black out happens.  This is all covered about halfway down on the link that parvez posted.

However if i change the formatting of the column from rich text to plain text the issue goes away but for some strange reason html tags are left behind on the existing data.  The <dir> </dir> tags appear infront and behind the data but it only seems to appear around the 1,000 line mark on all of the list i made the changes to.  So i dont know if there is some sort of limitation when changing this setting on how many lines it can process or what.

I have found several post on these tags being left behind but the work around are editing the code for the list which im a little unsure about.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:14 PM
  • after doing some more digging i figured out this list was imported from an access database.  When i delete the list and export it again from access i notice that the default for the column im having issues with is rich text and thats whats causing all the issues i beleive.

I have opened a ticket with premier to have them explain what is going on and why blacks outs are caused and how to correct and prevent in the future.  Will update once i speak to them.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:22 PM
  • Looking forward to your findings.

Pman

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:42 AM
  • Spoke with support and they did help me figure out a way to fix my problem but really didnt really provide why it happens.  So needless to say Im not 100% on whats going on here or the fix I have but i do know that the blackouts dont happen anymore.

When we exported the list to access the column that was having blackouts was set as memo with rich text and Calibri font.  This setting is under table tools > Fields > Data Type (on ribbon (2010)).  If we change the type from "memo" to "text" and then import the list back in it corrects the problem.  This is because basically the column changes from rich text to plain text which removes all the HTML formatting in column. 

I did find that if you dont want to export and import the list back you can open the list as linked in access and make changes.  If you do it this way it will only allow  you to change the column to plain text (under memo settings).  In my case it left behind the <div></div> html tags and I used the find and replace feature to remove them and all the changes were immidiatly made on the list. 

The links for the issue being related to the font type I do believe have some merrit for what might be causing this but like i said earlier im not 100%.  I think that when rich text is used in access it converts to ms sans serriff while being uploaded to sharepoint and this is not a valid font in sharepoint any more.  When you change the data to plain text it no longer is using any type of font formatting which in returns corrects the issue.

The only reason why Im a little unhappy with this solution is because what if i need the rich text formatting.  Am I just SOL or is this a bug between access and sharepoint?

This may not be the only way to correct the problem but it did work for me and maybe it will lead someone else in the direction of finding the proper way.  Hope this helps.

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Thanks stanleyj42 for posting the details.

Pman

Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:16 AM