Windows 7 + Two Monitor Setup + Counter-strike Source issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have, as it says in the title, windows 7 (beta build 7100) with two monitors running off of my Nvidia 9600 GTX video card. But unless the game is run in Windowed mode, it just crashes upon startup. This only started happening when i installed the second monitor.

Here is the gist of it: The game is crashing when its in fullscreen mode because of the fact that there is two monitors (for reasons i do not know lol) and since the -noborder doesnt work in windows 7 (again for reasons unknown) i have to run it with a pesky border around it, is there any way i can get around this?

EDIT:
    Also, for some reason, almost all of my programs (example: CSS, Itunes, Firefox...) seem to flicker alot... like the window gets alot of "Not Responding" flickers (this is only happening since windows 7.)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hi InuyashaITB,

I think the issue should be related to the display card and its driver.

Please first try installing the latest display card driver from nVIDIA and see if the issue can be resolved. If it persists, please check the game and screen resolution are set properly. Also, please check if the issue occurs in a smaller screen resolution.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Besides, please right click on the game executive file and then click Properties, on the Shortcut tab, select "Maximized" in Run section and then click OK. Please also refresh the Windows Experience Index which may be helpful.

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 4, 2010 6:21 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if the programs (Itunes, Firefox..)crashed right after installing windows 7? If so, we may need to focus on the stability of the system first and let the game issue aside. When playing game, it consumes a lot CPU usage, if the pc is not stable enough, then crashes are very likely to happen.

To troubleshoot the issue, test in clean boot:

Clean Boot
    =============
    This method will disable loading program or service from start up to avoid conflict

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.
    Are you running Window 7 RC version? 32 or 64 bit? As the Windows 7 RTM has been released, it is suggested to make a switch as the beta version may cause unexpected issues.

On the other hand, if it is not convenient to make a switch, you can try install the latest driver from the following link to try your luck. Multiple monitors requir a suitable driver to achieve a stable performance.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us&ptid=1&psid=51&pid=0

In addition, would you tell us the model of your PC?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Well this is what my desktop basicly looks like...
    Photobucket

I did the clean boot as you said and it didnt help with the flickering nor the crashing on bootup as fullscreen.

Photobucket

I am not sure whether my OS is RTM or RC but it is 32 bit Windows 7 Beta Build 7100.

Also, i do not know what you mean "... if the programs crashed right after installing windows 7" what do you mean by crashed right after installing windows? i unfortunatley never checked when i first installed because i only used its internet explorer and i never payed too much attention to the crashing.

I built this computer myself so there is no specific make / model. But what i can tell you is all the hardware that is in there:
    4x1GB Memory Cards (Corsair)
    1xNvidia Geforce 9600 GT
    3xHard drives (varying makers)
    1xIntel Core 2 Duo
    2xDVD Burner drives
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Here there seems to be two issues involved:

1. All of your programs flicker a lot.
    2. When expand the game to fullscreen, it crashes.

If the first issue does not occur right after installing the second monitor, I suggest we troubleshoot them seperately. As the first one sounds more basical and system statement related, I suggest we focus on it first.

Can you tell us the exact symptom of the flickering? Are the windows blank? You can test the issue in clean boot to narrow down the root cause.

This method will disable loading program or service from start up to avoid conflict

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:12 AM
  • Hi InuyashaITB,

I think the issue should be related to the display card and its driver.

Please first try installing the latest display card driver from nVIDIA and see if the issue can be resolved. If it persists, please check the game and screen resolution are set properly. Also, please check if the issue occurs in a smaller screen resolution.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Besides, please right click on the game executive file and then click Properties, on the Shortcut tab, select "Maximized" in Run section and then click OK. Please also refresh the Windows Experience Index which may be helpful.

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 4, 2010 6:21 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:20 AM