none
What is the running order of multiple datasources Pre/Post script? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question regarding the order of running pre/post script for multiple datasources in the same protection group.

I have a database server (Not MSSQL) which have files on two drives (C,E). Before the backup of those files, I need to stop the server.
    My questions are:

• Should each DataSourceScriptConfig stop/start the server? OR
    • Should the 1st DataSourceScripConfig stop it and the 2nd start it? OR
    • The DataSourceScripConfig runs in parallel?

Kind regards,

Sami Marzouki

Sample of my scripting file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> 
    - <ScriptConfiguration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/ScriptingConfig.xsd">
    - <DatasourceScriptConfig DataSourceName="C:">
      <PreBackupScript>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Scripting\Stop.cmd"</PreBackupScript> 
      <PostBackupScript>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Scripting\Star.cmd"</PostBackupScript> 
      <TimeOut>30</TimeOut> 
      </DatasourceScriptConfig>
    - <DatasourceScriptConfig DataSourceName="E:">
      <PreBackupScript>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Scripting\Stop.cmd"</PreBackupScript> 
      <PostBackupScript>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Scripting\Start.cmd"</PostBackupScript> 
      <TimeOut>30</TimeOut> 
      </DatasourceScriptConfig>
      </ScriptConfiguration>

Sami Marzouki

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The ScriptingConfig.xml will be read by the protection agent anytime a backup is initiated on the protected server.  If the ScriptingConfig.xml has an entry in it for the data source about to be backed up, it will execute the prebackupscript section prior to the backup and postbackupscript section after the backup of that data source completes.  So to answer your question, both the C: and E: will be seperate backup jobs to DPM, so each job will execute the script independantly of each other.  I can see conflicts occuring so you may want to think about placing all the DB files on a single volume so a single stop / start is needed. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The ScriptingConfig.xml will be read by the protection agent anytime a backup is initiated on the protected server.  If the ScriptingConfig.xml has an entry in it for the data source about to be backed up, it will execute the prebackupscript section prior to the backup and postbackupscript section after the backup of that data source completes.  So to answer your question, both the C: and E: will be seperate backup jobs to DPM, so each job will execute the script independantly of each other.  I can see conflicts occuring so you may want to think about placing all the DB files on a single volume so a single stop / start is needed. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for your answer. I'll keep the DB Files separated to avoid disk contention.

I'll keep my ScriptingConfig like this then.

Kind regards,

Sami

Sami Marzouki

Monday, March 19, 2012 7:59 AM