none
DPM 2010 cannot connect to Dell TL2000 tape library connected thru iScsi RRS feed

• Question

• Device manager sees the tape drive and tape library and Dell diagnostics ran successfully - which tested all aspects of the tape library operation.

DPM Management/Libraries shows 1 library detected on the summary display. However the window that would have shown the drives and tape slots is empty. Instead the following message shows up even after a rescan:
    There are no libraries configured to be used by Data Protection Manager. Click on rescan to identify attached libraries.

Thank you.

F.Palacio
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 4:09 AM

Answers

• Finally found the correct combination of the drivers.

Medium Changer - ibmcg2k8.sys (and ibmcgft2k8.sys) - for some reason Dell tech support had reconfigured this to "unknown medium changer" driver and said that's the way it should be configured.
    Tape drive - ltotape.sys

Library is working properly now.

Thanks to all who responded.

F.Palacio
    • Proposed as answer by Ruud Baars [MSFT] Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by F.Palacio Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:34 PM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi

A general configuration regarding tape libraies is that you often need one channel for your library and another channel for your tape drive. Verify your ISCSI Initiators on the server and verify that you have connected IP adresses for your robotic library and all the tape drives.

Also verify your drivers. DELL use to have a configuration matrix regarding supported drivers for different tape libraries.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 6, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

For some reason, now DPM is displaying the tape library, drive and slots. I need to check whether they showed up by themselves after I rebooted both the TL2000 and the DPM 2010 server - they were not showing up shortly after the reboots. This is the first time I checked them again for about a day.

Thanks,

F.Palacio
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi!

Any luck?

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:11 PM
  • No, the tape library drive and slots show up but inventory fails to run successfully.

Thanks,

F.Palacio
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 6:54 PM
  • I don't have any suggestions for you on how to resolve the issue, but I can tell you know that we have the same setup running without any issues.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Try to install the latest firmware on the library and the tape drives.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:46 PM
  • I was working with Dell tech support and the library and drives now have the latest firmware. The library does not show up but the drive does. This started happening after I changed the drive driver to ltotape.sys as suggested by Dell.

Thanks,

F.Palacio
    Friday, November 19, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Hi Mister Iks,

What drivers and versions do you have for the medium changer and for the tape drive?

Thanks,

F.Palacio
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:53 PM
  • Finally found the correct combination of the drivers.

Medium Changer - ibmcg2k8.sys (and ibmcgft2k8.sys) - for some reason Dell tech support had reconfigured this to "unknown medium changer" driver and said that's the way it should be configured.
    Tape drive - ltotape.sys

Library is working properly now.

Thanks to all who responded.

F.Palacio
    • Proposed as answer by Ruud Baars [MSFT] Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by F.Palacio Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:34 PM
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Thanks for this post. Saved me some time.

Anyone that need more help:

• I used this info for Server 2008 R2.
    1. I used this Dell driver: R318494
    2. Went to device manager and found "Medium Changer Device".
    3. Expanded and right clicked on unknown medium changer, change driver, browsed to the "Windows 2008x64\Tape_Library_Driver" folder
    4. It installed the driver and changed the name to "IBM TotalStorage blah blah..."
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:32 PM