Windows 8 Profile changed to Temp File and my home page will not set correctly RRS feed

• General discussion

• I closed my computer down and the next time I opened the computer it changed to a temp profile and would not allow me access to my own data.  I was able to open a new profile and access from the new admin file but I also noticed that some other items have changed.   I have tried to put in my home page that I prefer and it changes while the computer is active, but as soon as I close down the computer, my home page changes back to AVC search engine. 

Also, when I opened up my Outlook, Outlook would act as if it was the first time I opened Outlook and asked me to set up my accounts.  The accounts did set once I went through the steps in the new profile.

I also did a system restore and tried to remove the AVC search engine.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:32 PM

All replies

• The Windows 8 forums are found @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

This is a Windows 7 forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:48 PM
  • I understand, but the forum is the only thing that would show up when I put in, still waiting for answer to question.
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description,I suggest you create a new user account to test it.

Create a user account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

If it works in a new user account ,you need to fix the corrupt user profile.

Copy the previous user profile into the new one, you can refer to the steps on this link:

User profile service failed and Server Execution failed :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/answers?tId=744b0ba2-91fc-4dcd-91d2-aae0f523d741

Meanwhile, I suggest we try windows defender to run a full-system scan.

Regards,

Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Yes, a new user file does allow me to access my old files. I was even able to access my Outlook files in the same manner.  I found that suggestion on the internet and created the new user account a couple of weeks ago.  But that is where I get stuck!   My thoughts where that once everything was in place, I could just move everything over to the new user account and delete the old.  But I still have a problem with Explorer which has put a hold on everything.  I thought if I delete Explorer and re-installed it that the problem would be erased, but you cannot delete Explorer in Windows 8.  This is what is happening with Explorer:

1. When I open Explorer it immediately takes me to:          

htt p://ww w.mysearchresults. com/?-2355&t=01  (note, I have to leave spaces so that it does not show up as a link)

2.  I cannot set-up my home page, if I do, my home page setting will last only until I completely shut down the computer.  The next day it is back to the forced setting.

3.  Also, every time I open a new window in Explorer, a new tab opens as well for a "Search Here" with the icon of "mysearchresults".

4.  I also have a problem when I open up Outlook, it takes minutes for Outlook to proceed to updating the folders.  It just states that it is preparing to update.  I am wondering if something is scanning my files.

I did download and ran windows defender weeks ago as well. 

Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late reply. 

According to your description,I suggest we try Microsoft Safety Scanner to run a full-system scan with an up-to-date antivirus product:

Microsoft Safety Scanner.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Meanwhile,if the issue persists,let us try reset your windows,maybe it can get rid of this problem.

Regards,

Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:00 PM
  • I will run the safety scan. 

If you reset my windows, does that have any affect on my other files?  Also, does that up-grade to the new version of Windows and Explorer that is currently out.  I am unable to up-grade at this time because software I use in my business is not ready for the up-grade.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:42 PM
  • I ran the safety scan and no virus were found.
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:11 PM