none
Reschedule uncompleted tasks not working as expected RRS feed

• Question

• In the attached Gantt chart (sorry, it's not attached because it would not allow me to attach it until "it was able to verify my account". It allowed me to attach an image yesterday, why not today?), on which I have selected Update Project and Reschedule Uncompleted Work to start after Wed 2/12/15, why does it show task 15 starting on 24/11/15, even though its predecessor task 14 finishes on 3/12/15? And the same for lots of other examples in this section of chart? What I want it to do is:

1. Split the part completed task bar into two parts. The comleted part should be shown with the original start date and last for the duration of the completed work. The uncompleted work should be moved to start today, or later if determined by predecessors. The two parts should be shown joined by a dotted line or similar.
    2. No task should start before its predecessor has finished (assuming a finsih to start link).

The existing diagram shows that uncompleted tasks (such as task 15) are being completed in the past. This surely cannot be right? We surely know that task 15 cannot start until today at the earliest, since it is 0% complete.

How do I get it to do this?

Thanks - Rowan

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:05 PM

All replies

• Rowan --

Without being able to see the project, it would be difficult to speculate what is wrong.  Keep trying to attach a screenshot or something to help us.  Thanks.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Still can't attach it. You can see it at http://www.sylvesterbradley.org/images/MSProjectProblem151202.png.

Rowan

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

It looks like you entered an actual start date for those tasks. Then the tasks' start will e fixed , absolutely fixed. Delete any actual start entry to see what youwant to see.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. You are right, there were actual start dates for these tasks. I don't think I addeed them - I think something must have added them automatically at some point during the preparation and editing of the project.

A related question: If I create a task with a duration of 0.5 days, at some point later, Project seems to recalculate the duration (I guess this is because of resource leveling, which has delayed the completion of the task by say 5 days). So it has now changed the Duration to 5.5 days. If I then change something in the chart to enable things to be completed earlier, I want to go back to my 0.5 days duration (which is how long it actually takes). It doesn't seem to do this. It leaves the duration at 5.5 days, introducing a false delay in the project.

How do I overcome this?

Thanks - Rowan

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Rowan,

Yes a screen shot could be valuable but here's something else you might want to look at. Take a look at the following Wiki article, it addressed reasons why a successor task may not track with a predecessor task.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/30143.ms-project-why-a-successor-task-s-start-date-may-not-directly-follow-a-predecessor-task-s-finish-date/rss.aspx

John

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Hi Rowan,

If it ACTUALLY took 0,5 days, set ACTUAL DURATION to 0,5 days. Duration will inevitably follow.

Greetings,

Thursday, December 3, 2015 12:41 PM
  • Jan,

Thanks for your reply. It didn't actually take any time, because it is not yet complete. This is a future task, that was planned to take 0.5 days, and should have taken place after its predecessor task completed, but did not. I want such tasks to be automatically moved to start not earlier than today's date, and for resource leveling to apply (i.e. if I have 5 tasks all allocated to the same resource, and each taking 1 day, and none of them yet started, I want them to be planned with the first to take place today, the second tomorrow, and the 5th in 5 days time. The planned duration of each task should still be one day, because that is how much work the project manager estimated they would take.

How do I make it do this?

Thanks - Rowan
    Friday, December 4, 2015 5:06 PM
  • Hi Rowan,

It's not that you have to do anything special fro the duration to remain constant, it is that there is something you don't have to do and that is fixing the start of the task. That may be because of Actual Start but also because of a strong constraint (must start on, start no later than). Check those. If the start is free to move duration will not change by leveling or otherwise.

Greetings,

Monday, December 7, 2015 8:57 AM