Changing DCOM Settings Breaks Windows 7 Manage Users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to configure a legacy app that communicates via DCOM on a new Windows 7 environment.  In order to allow communication between machines (Win XP) without matching credentials we would set the DCOM Default Authentication Level to "None" (security isn't really an issue as we are on a closed network).  However, in Windows 7 changing that setting (followed by a reboot) will cause the Manage Users window to be blank.  Change the DCOM level back to "Connect" (or higher) and the screen shows normally again.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?  I'm pretty sure that I have to keep my DCOM security level that low for my app to work.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is more related to your legacy application.

Microsoft's distributed COM (DCOM) extends the Component Object Model (COM) to support communication among objects on different computers-on a LAN, a WAN, or even the Internet. With DCOM, your application can be distributed at locations that make the most sense to your customer and to the application.

Because DCOM is a seamless evolution of COM, the world's leading component technology, you can leverage your existing investment in COM-based applications, components, tools, and knowledge to move into the world of standards-based distributed computing. As you do so, DCOM handles low-level details of network protocols so you can focus on your real business: providing great solutions to your customers.

DCOM Technical Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722925.aspx

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:35 AM
  • I'm afraid it isn't related to my app.  Changing the DCOM Default Authentication Level on a clean install of Win 7 (both 32 and 64-bit, Professional and Ultimate) causes this to happen.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I changed DCOM Default Authentication level to "None", and got the same result.  So we should review the warning when we try to modify de DCOM settings, "this will effect all the applications on the machine, some applications may not work correctly as a result."

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Or better yet, have it not mess up another part of the OS!  :-)

Do you know of any other way to have two untrusted machines communicate via DCOM without requiring matching UIDs/PWs on both machines?

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:43 PM