none
Can't seem to Publish a PS2003 file to Project Server 2010 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to use a Project Server 2003 project as a new template file in PS2010 SP1 so I used the Import Project to Enterprise Wizard to bring in the desired file from my local drive, an went through the steps without any errors and chose the SaveAs option listed.  I gave it a new name picked Project Template (*.mpt), chose to remove values of all baselines and whether tasks have been published to Project Server on the little form that comes up then hit the Save button.  The wizard did not close itself so I chose the close option in the wizard pane but got a message that says "You have not save the project to the server...."

I tried using the template file it created but it will not publish either.  I tried just to open the PS2003 file and do a SaveAs to PS 2010 to see if it would create a published file but got the same results.

I did verify I was connected to the server as well.  Don't know why it won't publish can you help?

Forrest

Added:  One thing I discovered was that if I copy the PS2003 file to the Server Desktop and then use the Server's Project Professional to load the file and then do a SaveAs it does bring up the Publish form to save it to the Server.

The difference between the Server Application of Project Pro 2010 and the Client version I have on my local is that I uploaded a Ribbon Change from the Training manual.  "Project Server 2010 Ribbon tab.exportedUI"

Could this be the issue and if so How can I fix it or how would I get back to the original?

Forrest

• Edited by Forrest Monday, February 20, 2012 9:29 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:23 PM

Answers

• Forrest --

I�??m not sure I have much more insight for you.  You are seeing strange behavior between your Microsoft Project 2010 on your local desktop and the one on the server where Project Server is installed, and that I cannot explain.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

• Marked as answer by Forrest Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:23 PM

All replies

• Forrest --

I think you messed up somewhere, because you should have never needed to choose Project Template (*.mpt) as the file type.  Here is what I believe you need to do:

1.  Launch the Project Professional 2010 application that is installed on your laptop or desktop PC and then connect to Project Server.
    2.  Open the project saved previous previously in Project Server 2003.
    3.  Click File > Save As and then click Save As File in the Save to Project Server dialog.
    4.  In the Save As dialog, select a local drive or folder into which to save the file as a Project 2010 file.
    5.  In the Save As dialog, click the Save As Type pick list and select Project.  Selecting this version will save the file as a true Project 2010 file and not a 2003 file.
    6.  Give the file a name and then save it as a 2010 file.  Leave this file open.
    7.  Click File > Save & Send.
    8.  On the Save and Send page of the Backstage, leave the Use Import Wizard option selected and then click the Save As button on the right side of the page.
    9.  Work through the first four steps of the Import Project Wizard.
    10.  On the Step 5 page of the wizard, click the Save As link in the middle of the sidepane.
    11.  In the Save to Project Server dialog, enter a name for the template in the Name field.
    12.  Click the Type pick list and select Template.
    13.  Do not fill in any required or optional custom enterprise fields and then click the Save button.
    14.  Close the Import Project Wizard sidepane.
    15.  Close the project and DO NOT save any changes when prompted.

At no point, please notice that you DID NOT have to publish your template.  You publish enterprise projects, but you DO NOT EVER publish enterprise templates.  To create a new project from this template, click File > New > Project Server Templates.  You should see your new template in the dialog.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Dale, thanks so much for putting this down in steps.  It makes it a little easier to explain where I'm having the problem.

Step #3 is where the hitch is.  When I click File > Save As I don't get the Save to Project Server dialog, I instead get the standard Save As dialog with the navigation tree on the left to my local machine, so there is no Save As File button, only the Save button.  I am connected to the Project Server.

Step #2 I first loaded the project I'm try to use to my local Desktop with the Save As File dialog from the PS2003 Server.  So I'm wondering if that's where the issue is.  But what puzzles me is I copied this same project as a file to the New PS2010 Server Desktop and Step # 3 works the correct way as you described.

I tried using the Save & Send option on my local machine but got the same results, no Save As File dialog.

I agree with you that I missed something when I tried to save the project by changing the file type to a Template format instaed of using the Template pick list in the Save to Project Server dialog.  I was remembering what I had learned in the training Boot Camp program for saving a template.  Sorry about that.

Thanks for any insight into this issue,

Forrest

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Forrest --

I�??m not sure I have much more insight for you.  You are seeing strange behavior between your Microsoft Project 2010 on your local desktop and the one on the server where Project Server is installed, and that I cannot explain.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

• Marked as answer by Forrest Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:23 PM