windows xp wont run RRS feed

• Question

•  

help i'v just put a new monitor on my pc,then started windows it gets to my screen with my icons on then freezes, have tryed rebooting but same thing hapens.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 9:36 AM

Answers

•  

Hi chris,

Thank you for the post and MrHusy’s suggestions.

Please understand that in this forum we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues. As this is an issue mainly related to Windows XP, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest discussing the issue in our Windows XP newsgroup.

I have included our Windows XP newsgroup site below for your reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

Currently, you can try MrHusy’s suggestions. If the issue persists, you can try a Clean Boot to disable all third-party software at startup to test the result.

Clean Boot

=========

1. Click the Start Button, click Run, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

In addition, you can try to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

If the issues still occurs, please contact our Windows XP newsgroup for further troubleshooting. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:56 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Chris

Does same thing happen in safemode?

Have you ever encontered this issue before you change the monitor?

Regards

Monday, December 24, 2007 10:38 AM
  • no but its been playing up for a bit,put my old screen back on but same problem even tryed re installing windows but it wont run i have not shut the pc down for about 2 years

Monday, December 24, 2007 10:43 AM
  • Most probably it is caused by Display adapter or display drivers. First check if Display Adapter's (Your VGA card) fan is working and spinning. Clean the dust on fan if any. When icons show up and PC freeze, touch the heatsink of Display Adapter. If you cant hold your finger on it about 4-5 seconds, then this is a hardware isue.

Also try booting in VGA mode (Press F8 and choose vga mode) and check if error persists

Regards

Monday, December 24, 2007 10:48 AM
  •  

Hi chris,

Thank you for the post and MrHusy’s suggestions.

Please understand that in this forum we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues. As this is an issue mainly related to Windows XP, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. I suggest discussing the issue in our Windows XP newsgroup.

I have included our Windows XP newsgroup site below for your reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter

Currently, you can try MrHusy’s suggestions. If the issue persists, you can try a Clean Boot to disable all third-party software at startup to test the result.

Clean Boot

=========

1. Click the Start Button, click Run, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

In addition, you can try to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

If the issues still occurs, please contact our Windows XP newsgroup for further troubleshooting. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:56 AM