none
planned work will automatically increase when moving the end date RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

can someone explain why the planned work will automatically increase when moving to a later end date of a sub task?

We have project managers who are planning the work for resources in the parent processes. In my screen shot, I have planned 1 hour for the testuser from 05/18/2015 till 05/22/2015 in the parent task. (screenshot 1)

If I change the end date of the sub task from 05/22/2015 to 05/29/2015 the planned work changes from 1 hour to 80 hours. WHY? (screenshot 2)

I have another question: why is the signature of sub task red?

Thanks and regards

Murol

Monday, May 18, 2015 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Murol,

Paul gave a good advice saying that you should not assign any resources on the summary task. You will loose control on your task information and it is not supposed to work like this: a summary task is more like a phase/bucket containing tasks, but it is not a specific activity by itself. The best example is YOUR example. A summary task is controled (assuming you're using automatic scheduling) by the sub-tasks. So if you increase the duration of a sub-task, it will also increase the work, which will rolled up at summary level as you can see. Note that if you directly update work or duration or dates at summary level, the summary task will become manually scheduled.

For the task being colored in red, I would say that there is a specific formating condition done under the "format" tab, "text styles", like critical tasks maybe.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Murol Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:52 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Murol,

I would recommend to avoid assigning the resources at summary task level!

Maybe this will help understanding a little bit better how this works:

http://www.mpug.com/articles/assigning-resources-to-summary-tasks/

Hope this helps

Paul

Monday, May 18, 2015 10:34 AM
  • Hi Murol,

Paul gave a good advice saying that you should not assign any resources on the summary task. You will loose control on your task information and it is not supposed to work like this: a summary task is more like a phase/bucket containing tasks, but it is not a specific activity by itself. The best example is YOUR example. A summary task is controled (assuming you're using automatic scheduling) by the sub-tasks. So if you increase the duration of a sub-task, it will also increase the work, which will rolled up at summary level as you can see. Note that if you directly update work or duration or dates at summary level, the summary task will become manually scheduled.

For the task being colored in red, I would say that there is a specific formating condition done under the "format" tab, "text styles", like critical tasks maybe.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Murol Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:52 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 10:59 AM