Not sure how to migrate UM from 2010 to 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• CAS is all good to go and I've moved a couple of mailboxes over to the new 2013 DAG - all looks good.

Last step is to test out UM.  I can't find any blogs and the UM migration steps are confusing my poor brain...  Can anyone make sense of steps 2 and 3 here? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn169226(v=exchg.150).aspx

They seem to first be saying in step 2 you should move the system mailbox from a 2010 to 2013 server (although they don't really flesh it out in the description under the Step2 heading).  I have been able to move all of my system mailboxes to a 2013 server except this particular one - it keeps failing with too many bad items (even though I allowed it up to 500).  I am concerned about deleting it and running setup /preparead to recreate it (although they mention that in the instructions) because of what they say in Step 3...

In Step 3 they say to export all your custom audio from the 2010 system mailbox and into the 2013 system mailbox using shell commands.  The confusing thing about this is that I only have *one* system mailbox of the name given there - and it's the same one that they tell you to MOVE from 2010 to 2013 in step 2!  So I'm really not understanding how you are supposed to move the mailbox from 2010 to 2013, and THEN subsequently export the audio from the 2010 "version" of the mailbox to the 2013 "version" - which is what they seem to be saying in Step 3.

Any translation of those steps into English would be much appreciated!

Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:16 AM

All replies

• I tried moving the system mailbox with acceptlargedataloss and a baditem limit of 5000 and it still failed with too many bad items.
    Monday, May 13, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hey, yes any upgrade or migration can have plenty of headaches.  But I think that this might go better with some clarity.

For step 2, we would prefer to move that mailbox but it can be recreated using the PrepareAD (but the data inside the mailbox would be lost). Here are some things to check for your move:

• Confirm the size of the mailbox and item count (get-mailbox -arbitration | get-mailboxstatistics)
    • Confirm that you can still get information from that mailbox (try Export-UMCallDataRecord)
    • Confirm that the mailbox user object is still in the default User's Container and is disabled
    • Run a mailbox repair request against the mailbox (New-MailboxRepairRequest) 

If you cannot move the mailbox, consider recreating the mailbox.

For step 3, this is not related to the System Mailbox but rather to the associated audio files that might be stored on the 2010 UM server (hard drive/folder).  If you created any custom audio files, you would need to move them to 2013 and inform 2013 UM that they exist.  If you did not create any custom audio files, skip it.

Good Luck!

D

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Thanks D.  I am still a bit confused when you say that step 3 is not related to the System Mailbox...  When the first 2 sentences of the step 3 section read: "You can import custom greetings, announcements, menus, and prompts that are used with UM dial plans and auto attendants from the Exchange 2010 system mailbox to the Exchange 2013 system mailbox. The system mailbox in both versions is named {e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}."

We have lots of custom audio files...  Are these not stored somewhere within the system?  They must be since UM uploads there "somewhere" when they get attached to an auto attendant.  The instructions seem to be saying that this storage is within the system mailbox.  Is that incorrect?  Could the documentation be more confusing on this point?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Also repair mailbox did not come up with any corruption.
    Friday, May 17, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Step 2 basically has you find the arbitration mailbox and move it from 2010 to 2013.  Step 3 has you move the content from the file system of 1 server to another server.  Step 2 is dependent on Step3 because the System Mailbox has 'pointers' to the file location of those audio files. So if you do not have them installed/available on th 2013 server, then UM would not be able to access them.

The documentation is more confusing than needed (like many TechNet articles related to UM).

If that does not work for you, let us know.

Thanks!

D

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:16 PM
  • thank you, and agreed!

I did not realize that it has pointers to files.  This does not make sense to me, as there are multiple 2010 UM servers for example.  How is it that these multiple UM servers are pointing to files?  Are they using UNC or something?  That still doesn't make sense logically...

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:18 PM
  • I found a blog talking about the files getting cached here:

However I noticed that the list of folders is not the same between my two UM servers - a couple are missing on one.  This is all quite confusing and Microsoft does not seem to have any clear documentation on where these things are actually stored.  I am unclear as to what is going to actually happen if I delete and recreate this system mailbox that I am unable to move.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Hi Doug, I am increasingly confused by your message.  Exchange 2010 AAs can be updated and have greetings uploaded from any machine with the EMC.  Exchange 2013 AAs can be updated from any computer with a web browser...

So clearly the WMA files are not being referenced from their original uploaded location - there must be some kind of centralized/system location for them to be stored by UM.  I thought this was in the system mailbox itself, or perhaps in the cache area noted above.  Do you know which it is?

Thanks!

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:15 AM
  • I set baditemlimit to 25,000 and it finally went through.  Custom audio appears to still be working, so I'm not sure what it is I need to do for Step 3 exactly...
    Saturday, May 25, 2013 6:20 PM