none
Cannot reinstall Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a full version 8.1 disk I have successfully installed twice. The first time was after I built my pc so it could have an operating system and the second time was to downgrade from Windows 10. I downgraded because after an update I lost internet connection and couldn't figure out how to get it back even after weeks of research. Once I rolled back to Win. 8.1 I had wifi connection again and decided to go back to Windows 10 because the first time I did that, (When Windows 10 came out), my internet still worked so I figured it would be the same this time. But no, still no connection. So I decided to go back to 8.1 again then to 7 and stay there. But it won't let me go back to 8.1 and everytime I power on my computer it goes to automatic repair which fails every time and prompts me to reset my pc. But that doesn't work either. So I'm stuck in this loop of failing automatic repairs. And windows 8.1 can't be installed on any partitions because they are MBR and not GPT. But I've already done this once and this wasn't a problem so I can't see why they would switch to MBR.

Thank you. 

Saturday, January 6, 2018 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Insert the windows image and let system to boot from it.

2.At the screen 'where do you want to install Windows', press Shift+f10 to open an elevated cmd.

3.Type dispart

list disk

select disk <disk number>

clean

convert gpt

exit

4.Then go on installing Windows 8.1

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any problems, feel free to contact me.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:09 AM