none
User Profile Disk as an alternative Roaming Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is a stupid idea, to use UPD instead RoamingProfile

https://4sysops.com/archives/user-profile-disks-on-windows-10/

And it works for workstations. But if workstation lost connection to VHDx folder, user can't work and system stop response. And mount VHD over network it no best way. I understand that UPD is technology for RDP or VDI :) 

What if I will copy VHDx at user logon to the local disk (c:\users\vhdx). And copy to the store on user logoff?

Like:

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement
    $VHD = "$env:SystemDrive\users\UVHD-" + ([System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal]::Current).SID.Value + ".vhdx"
    $STORE = "\\Stor01\USMT\UPD"
    Copy-Item $VHD -Destination $STORE -Force -Confirm:$false 
    Add-Type -AssemblyName System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement
    $VHD = "\\Stor01\USMT\UPD" + ([System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.UserPrincipal]::Current).SID.Value + ".vhdx"
    $PROFILE =  "$env:SystemDrive\users"
    Copy-Item $VHD -Destination $PROFILE -Force -Confirm:$false 
    Who run script after logon, but befor system mount VHDx? :)

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:26 PM

Answers

• Microsoft warns against relocating user profiles on Windows Vista .. 10 because they will create conflicts with updates and upgrades.  I have one W10 system where I have moved the profile and the moved profile has many ugly issues after most major updates.

The only approved way to relocate profile storage is during a custom install of the OS.

Splitting the user profile folder to two locations has issues.  Copying profile folders from one location to another also has issue.

You can use disk-to-go on Windows enterprise version which allows a user to run a separate OS from a USB device with no issues.

Many files and folders in a profile cannot be copied by the user.  They are protected by the OS.  A user cannot overlay his own profile. 

You can move the user file folders (documents, pictures, favorites...etc) to a removable drive and they will work correctly with no need to copy these.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:22 PM

All replies

• Microsoft warns against relocating user profiles on Windows Vista .. 10 because they will create conflicts with updates and upgrades.  I have one W10 system where I have moved the profile and the moved profile has many ugly issues after most major updates.

The only approved way to relocate profile storage is during a custom install of the OS.

Splitting the user profile folder to two locations has issues.  Copying profile folders from one location to another also has issue.

You can use disk-to-go on Windows enterprise version which allows a user to run a separate OS from a USB device with no issues.

Many files and folders in a profile cannot be copied by the user.  They are protected by the OS.  A user cannot overlay his own profile. 

You can move the user file folders (documents, pictures, favorites...etc) to a removable drive and they will work correctly with no need to copy these.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Also note that the article is about RDS profiles and not local profiles and it does not allow a user to copy the VHDX after logon.  It allows a user to copy the active e VHDX after logoff for backup purposes.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:23 PM

\_(ツ)_/

Yes, it's a problem.  many users use roaming profiles. Many do not have own workplace. With Windows 7 there were no problems. We only have to transfer the RoamingProfile directory + folder redirection (docs, download,pic, video), but Windows 10 does not allow you to flexibly configure. Many important ar store at appdata\local.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:16 PM
  • Not a scripting issue.  You cannot use UPD with roaming profiles as stated in the article. 

If you update GP to the W10 policies you can relocate the user folders.  You can use MDT to capture the configuration data froma user profile.  You cannot relocate an appdata\local folder to a different system.

Post in Windows 10 deployment forum to learn how to mage this with MDT and other newer tools.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:23 PM