WSUS 2008R2 Synchronizations tab crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a problem with WSUS on a Server 2008 R2 computer. Everytime I want to look at the synchronizations that have been done, WSUS seems to crash. It keeps hanging while loading the synchronizations, after a few min I get an error with: Reset server node. The server is a downstream server of another 2008 R2 server. Even reinstalling the WSUS role didn't help, neither did the WSUS Clean up wizard. What could be the problem? Everything else seems to work fine.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:05 AM

Answers

• Hi DylanStr,

1. What's the version of your WSUS server, it is recommended to upgrade the WSUS server to the latest one, check if upgrade the server could resolve the issue:

WSUS version:
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2): Build 3.2.7600.226
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2720211: Build 3.2.7600.251
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2734608: Build 3.2.7600.256
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2828185: Build 3.2.7600.262
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2938066: Build 3.2.7600.274

To upgrade to 3.2.7600.274, we only need to install KB2938066.

2. What database do you use, external SQL server or WID, and what is the size of RAM of your WSUS server?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi DylanStr,

1. What's the version of your WSUS server, it is recommended to upgrade the WSUS server to the latest one, check if upgrade the server could resolve the issue:

WSUS version:
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2): Build 3.2.7600.226
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2720211: Build 3.2.7600.251
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2734608: Build 3.2.7600.256
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2828185: Build 3.2.7600.262
    WSUS 3.0 (SP2) + KB2938066: Build 3.2.7600.274

To upgrade to 3.2.7600.274, we only need to install KB2938066.

2. What database do you use, external SQL server or WID, and what is the size of RAM of your WSUS server?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:20 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I just tried if upgrading to 3.2.7600.274 would fix the problem, but unfortunately it didn't.

My server has 6GB of RAM. Only 2/3GB of RAM is in use. When I open up the synchronizations tab, it loads up to 85% and then it ''crashes''. Error: Connection Error, with a button Reset Server Node.

I have this problem from one of the first days I use this WSUS server. The only time I was able to view the synchronizations tab was when there was only one sync done if I remember correctly.

How do I see wich database I use? I think it's WID because it's just a fresh Server 2008 R2 install with the WSUS role added. I did not see an option to change the database while installing. What could it be?

Best Regards,

Dylan

• Edited by DylanStr Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi DylanStr,

>How do I see which database I use?

If you do not configure an external SQL database, then it should be WID.

>The only time I was able to view the synchronizations tab was when there was only one sync done if I remember correctly.

1. Check if you have selected "Drivers" in "Products and Classifications", it is not recommended to check "driver" since there are many updates for drivers while we might need a few of them.

2. Decline useless updates then run server cleanup wizard again.

3. Check if using WsusDBMaintance script to reindex WSUS database could work.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939795(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Hello Anne,

Suddenly when I logged on the WSUS server to view the Synchronization tab today, it worked! I didn't change anything but maybe updating WSUS did the job apparently, however I checked right after updating yesterday and then it didn't work. But it's good for now so i'm happy. Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Dylan

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:43 AM
  • Hi DylanStr,

Glad to hear everything works well now! Cheers!

And it's welcome if you can mark the reply as answer, so that we can close this case.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:12 AM
  • Done! Case can be closed.

Best regards,

Dylan

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:23 AM
  • Hi DylanStr,

If you have other questions about WSUS in the future, welcome to post in WSUS forum.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:25 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Suddenly my Synchronizations tab is not working anymore. I get the same error as previous. So it was working for a few times but now it's broken again. Maybe I should try the WsusDBMaintance script to reindex the DB?

Or are there any other solutions I should try first?

Best regards,

Dylan

• Edited by DylanStr Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:44 AM
  • Hi DylanStr,

>Maybe I should try the WsusDBMaintance script to reindex the DB?

Try it and test the result. Also run Server Cleanup wizard.

(The order is not important)

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi Anne,

The Server Cleanup wizard did not solve the problem.

Could you please give me some instructions on how to run the WsusDBMaintance script?

As I'm not sure how to do it. That would be very helpful!

Best regards,

Dylan

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Hi DylanStr,

>Could you please give me some instructions on how to run the WsusDBMaintance script?

--For new server installs, you may need to first download and install:
      1. Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:
         http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

2. ODBC driver 11 for SQL:
         http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

--Second, go to the SQLCMD.exe path
    cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

--Then run the following command:

sqlcmd -S np:\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query -i <scriptLocation>\WsusDBMaintenance.sql

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 23, 2016 1:36 AM
  • Hi Anne,

I know this is a while ago, but the WsusDBMaintenance.sql script didnt solve my problem. I got even more problems today with my WSUS server, it regularly crashes and it doesnt synchronize with my other wsus server anymore. Is there anything else I can try or should I just reinstall?

Best regards,

Dylan

• Edited by DylanStr Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:52 AM