Restoring BMR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I'm using DPM 2010 to backup my AD using BMR, currently my AD is a physical, then I want to restore it to virtual (Hyper-V), when I want to begin the process it failed and it said cannot find the disk. But if I restore it to physical there's not problem. Is there a limitation that if DPM backup from physical cannot retore to VMs ? vice versa ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The new destination system disk needs the equal or larger in size than the original system disk that was backed up, and you need the same number of disks.

In order to get details about how many disks you need and their size requirements, look in the MBRsystemRequirements.txt file (located in the WindowsImageBackup folder of the restored image share you created).

EXAMPLE:
    Minimum number of disks: 1
    Minimum Disk Sizes:
      Disk 0: 64423526400 bytes  (boot)

Then in Windows Recovery Env (WinRE) check the Boot disk using: Cmd prompt -> Diskpart.exe -> Select Disk = System. Then List disk - this will show the disk where OS restore will be attempted. Make sure it is equal or larger than the size in the BMRSystemrequirements.txt file.  Keep in mind that what diskpart shows you is rounded down, so if the size of your new disk is just 1MB smaller it will result in the error you are seeing.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:08 PM

All replies

• It should restore to a virtual just fine. Can you give some detail about the steps you are taking?
    My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:48 PM
  • I follow the steps from this link : http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx

the complete error : 

no disk that can be used for recovering the system can be found

I've already create a fixed sized disk at my VM to restore.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

The new destination system disk needs the equal or larger in size than the original system disk that was backed up, and you need the same number of disks.

In order to get details about how many disks you need and their size requirements, look in the MBRsystemRequirements.txt file (located in the WindowsImageBackup folder of the restored image share you created).

EXAMPLE:
    Minimum number of disks: 1
    Minimum Disk Sizes:
      Disk 0: 64423526400 bytes  (boot)

Then in Windows Recovery Env (WinRE) check the Boot disk using: Cmd prompt -> Diskpart.exe -> Select Disk = System. Then List disk - this will show the disk where OS restore will be attempted. Make sure it is equal or larger than the size in the BMRSystemrequirements.txt file.  Keep in mind that what diskpart shows you is rounded down, so if the size of your new disk is just 1MB smaller it will result in the error you are seeing.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:08 PM
  • I've tried it in a way that you suggest and successfully

Thanks Mike,

Rgds

Gie

Monday, June 20, 2011 7:31 AM