none
Exchange 2003 outgoing mail stuck in message queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have an Exchange 2003 server that, for some reason, decided it didn't want to process outgoing mail any longer (incoming mail, of course, works fine). Mail is stuck in the outgoing connector queue, and any attempts on my behalf to budge them is met with "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."

Things I've tried:

• connecting to external SMTP servers via telnet on port 25 (success)
    • recreating the server settings
    • recreating the ISA server rules
    • investigating the server logs for anything fishy (nothing untoward)
    • restarting the server
    • restarting individual services
    • using smtpdlg (success, it tells me)
    • calling the ISP (they say there's nothing wrong with the line or domain)
    • General fiddling around to try and troubleshoot the issue

At this point I'm at a loss for ideas :( So I turn to you for help. Is there anything further I can try?

Some background info that might help:

The server is using dyndns. The prior admin did something wonky, and we no longer had access to the old dyndns name. This meant creating a new one and updating parts of the server to match (eg, to get OWA to work).

Let me know if there's any further info I can try providing to facilitate.

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:16 PM

Answers

• On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 21:16:47 +0000, Feeyaad wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi! I have an Exchange 2003 server that, for some reason, decided it didn't want to process outgoing mail any longer (incoming mail, of course, works fine). Mail is stuck in the outgoing connector queue, and any attempts on my behalf to budge them is met with "The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt."
    >
    >Things I've tried: connecting to external SMTP servers via telnet on port 25 (success)recreating the server settingsrecreating the ISA server rulesinvestigating the server logs for anything fishy (nothing untoward)restarting the serverrestarting individual servicesusing smtpdlg (success, it tells me)calling the ISP (they say there's nothing wrong with the line or domain)General fiddling around to try and troubleshoot the issue
    >
    >At this point I'm at a loss for ideas :( So I turn to you for help. Is there anything further I can try?
    >
    >Some background info that might help:
    >
    >The server is using dyndns. The prior admin did something wonky, and we no longer had access to the old dyndns name. This meant creating a new one and updating parts of the server to match (eg, to get OWA to work).

Are you using DynDNS as an outbound SMTP relay? You don't say what
    services you uses from that company (outbound SMTP relay, inbound SMTP
    relay, DNS, etc.). DynDNS requires authentication for the use of
    outbound SMTP relay -- has your password been changed?

If you're using them as an outbound SMTP relay are you using the
    correct port to send on?

>Let me know if there's any further info I can try providing to facilitate.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:05 AM