none
Project Server 2010: assigning a user to a summary task RRS feed

• Question

• I used Project Professional 2010 to assign a user (Joe) to a summary task. When Joe logs in, he sees the summary task in his My Tasks area as expected. Have a couple of questions:

1.) Is there a way that Joe can also view the tasks inside the summary task in My Tasks?

2.) Assuming #1 can be accomplished, can Joe then assign other resources to the tasks inside the summary task? Again within the My Tasks section.

I'm looking for a way to do the above in Project Server (as opposed to Project Pro). The reason for wanting to do this in the My Tasks section (instead of PWA) is because I don't want Joe to have access to the rest of the project plan.

Hope the questions make sense.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dhruv

DR

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Dhruv,

You should not assign a resource to a summary task. We have seen lot of issue around this.

Hrushikesh Deshpande – Senior EPM Infrastructure Consultant, www.DeltaBahn.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hello Dhruv,

You should not assign a resource to a summary task. We have seen lot of issue around this.

Hrushikesh Deshpande – Senior EPM Infrastructure Consultant, www.DeltaBahn.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Dhruv,

Hrishid is correct - we have run into this. DONT assign resources to summary tasks. Period.

Nilesh Kelkar | nkelkar.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:22 PM
  • How do you UNASSIGN a resource from a summary task?  That field is grayed out, but the regular tasks are not.  i need to remove a resource from a summary task so I can modify the dates.

thanks!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:39 PM
  • out dent summary task , remove the resource and re-indent the summary task

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Scott_CF --

Select the summary task.  Click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon.  Click the Assign Resources button.  Select the resource assigned to the selected summary task and then click the Remove button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hello Dhruv,

Joe can only see the task he is assigned as a resource, or if you use capacity ressources (resources of type work, but not generic), he is defined as assignment owner. There is no other way to display the Tasks in "My Tasks".

Kind regards Harmut

Hartmut de Jong

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:12 PM