MS Outlook loading problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a computer with Windows XP. I have installed and have been using Office 2010 without any problems whatsoever. In January, following a security update, and upon attempting to open Outlook, I received the following message

"Outlook.exe-Entry point not found, then, "the procedure entry point CompareStringOrdinal could not be found in the dynamic link library KERNEL.dll"

A search directed me to uninstall a recent security update which I did and the problem went away ...until now.

On 1/14/18, Microsoft sent out some new updates, including a "security update" for Outlook. This morning, 1/15/18 Outlook would not load and the same error message showed up. I uninstalled this latest update and rebooted and it still doesn't work. I wish you guys wouldn't do this to me. 

The same thing happened with Outlook on my Windows 10 laptop, only uninstalling the update cured the problem with it. I am wasting a lot of work time dealing with things I shouldn't have to deal with.

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, February 16, 2018 1:38 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. You may keep an eye on the following article. If there is any progress on the fix, the article will be updated:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/outlook-2010-will-not-start-on-winxp-after-january-updates-5bf7eaf2-5ec2-4078-8b70-a887571da1d0

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:21 PM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 1:37 AM
  • I am having the same trouble with recently-issued KB4011711. When I uninstalled it, problem went away.
    Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:15 PM
  • I am having the same trouble with recently-issued KB4011711. When I uninstalled it, problem went away.

Yes, current workaround is to remove KB 4011273 or KB 4011711.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Hi all,

Microsoft has released KB 4018314 to fix the issue. The fix will also be released by a scheduled monthly update planned for March 6th.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 5, 2018 9:23 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 7:20 AM