none
Management Agent for SQL Azure RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to connect the sync service to a SQL Azure database.  I'm not having luck.

Searching online, I can't find a specific statement about the default SQL MA and whether it supports Azure SQL.

Does anyone know that answer?

I'm seeing chatter about SQL Azure with ECMA's and a generic connector, plus I see an open source MA option, plus SQL Azure MA's from partners.  All of that tells me the native FIM SQL MA doesn't support Azure, but again, I'm looking for confirmation.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:13 PM

Answers

• The Management Agents in FIM page in TechNet says the SQL MA supports SQL versions 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012. There is no mention of SQL Azure, therefore the answer to management is the SQL MA is not officially supported (and may not even work) for Azure SQL.  Agree with Brian and suggest you try Generic.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:32 PM

All replies

• Do you have SQL Server Native Client installed on the sync server?
    • Can you connect to the SQL Azure database using SSMS?
    • Can you connect to the SQL Azure database using an ODBC connection on the sync server?
    • What error message are you getting?
    • Have you monitored network traffic on the sync server? Is it trying to connect?
    • Do you have any firewalls blocking outbound traffic?

In my experience Azure SQL acts just like a regular remote SQL Server so you shouldn't have any issues. I've not tried it though (but am curious!). You won't get much in the way of support statements from MS unless you have a Premier contract.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Everything is fine from the connectivity standpoint.  I can sit on the sync server and connect to Azure SQL using SSMS and other tools.

However, when I point a native SQL MA at SQL Azure, I get the typical error message that the MA throws: "Failed to retrieve the schema. Cannot connect to the database you have specified".

My gut says it doesn't work using the native SQL MA. Searching online, it seems there are partner companies out there that have SQL Azure MA's for FIM/MIM.  I'm guessing there must be some market/demand for those special MA's or these partners wouldn't create them.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:14 PM
  • Have you tried using the Generic ODBC connector as an alternative?

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:12 AM
  • I've already got workaround options in my pocket.

However, the bosses here are asking the question "do we need a workaround?  shouldn't the native MA work?".  I can't find/give them an answer.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:50 PM
  • The Management Agents in FIM page in TechNet says the SQL MA supports SQL versions 2000, 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012. There is no mention of SQL Azure, therefore the answer to management is the SQL MA is not officially supported (and may not even work) for Azure SQL.  Agree with Brian and suggest you try Generic.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:32 PM
  • The SQL MA uses a bunch of older OLE DB stuff and I'm sure there's something it's doing that SQL Azure doesn't allow.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:57 PM