Can't export X-Server GUI back to my Window XP desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• I have had this PC for 9 years.

I used to be able to export an X-Server GUI back to my PC, using Exceed!

At some point in the past, some program, firewall, security update, or option was changed in such a manner, that I can no longer export ANY X-Server GUI back to my PC.

I've tried Exceed, Cygwin and Xming.  All three programs install correctly on my PC.

All three open themselves, in the correct mode, where they are waiting for an external X-Server GUI to connect.

However, when I attempt to export the display / GUI back to my PC, nothing ever comes up!

I've tried the exact same processes on a co-workers PC, and it works just fine there.

It just doesn't want to work on my PC.

I already disabled the Windows Firewall, as my PC already sits behind the corporate Firewall.  That actually fixed an issue I was having with the displaying of GIFs inside of my web-based email messages, but it didn't help with the X-Server GUI display.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance (TIA)

jxfish2

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• This is not a Microsoft Windows XP problem!

You are dealing with third party software and you need to contact the publisher of the software for assistance in getting it to function properly.  Microsoft does not provide support for any third party software.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:31 PM
  • That's the problem though, I don't know what's blocking the incoming X-Server GUI.

The 3rd party software that I have loaded is working as intended, and it's configured properly, as I verified the configuration on another co-workers PC.

This has to be one of those Microsoft Advanced Options, possibly one listed under the Advanced tab in the Internet Options.

Or, something in a Microsoft proxy setting, or firewall setting, etc.

It could be in the Anti-virus software that the company's using, except that they typically install a "canned" version, with pre-set parameters on all PC's.

And if that were the case, nobody would be able to use these X-Servers.  I wouldn't have been able to get it to work on my co-workers PC.

I have to believe that it's something very simple.  A simple setting somewhere.  I may be wrong, but I do believe it's somewhere within one of the Microsoft security tools.

Joseph C. Fisher
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:09 PM