Outlook 2010 Disconnects on Standby RRS feed

• Question

• Basically Outlook will Disconnect on Standby, and possibly other times as well.  It will the prompt for a password, whereby the user has to enter "network\username" plus the password.  We have both the normal Exchange and Outlook anywhere connections enabled, but I am thinking it is defaulting to Outlook Anywhere instead of Exchange at some times.

We are running an Exchange 2010 SP1 / Office 2010 Environment.  We have separate internal / external dns suffixes.

Thanks.

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:59 PM

Answers

• Outlook will switch from TCP (what you call "normal") to HTTPS (Outlook Anywhere) when it can't connect via TCP.  One thing that can cause this is when users switch networks, for example, connected to an internal network and then via a public Internet connection.  I had one CIO complain about logon prompts only to find he was connected to both the internal LAN and his public wireless connection concurrently--what a security risk!

As to standby, that doesn't surprise me, since it constitutes a network interruption.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Rowen-Xu Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Friday, July 15, 2011 8:11 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 11:40 PM