SPAM Reminder - Microsoft Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• For app. a year I have received this Reminder which I did not create myself.  I know it has viruses in it. That is why I highlight the subject and delete it but it comes back every day.  I used the instructions to clear all reminders in Microsoft Outlook but there is nothing there.  The date and time change as needed How can I get rid of it?

Robin

1 Reminder

image of calendar 2,500u$D in the next 10 Days

Start Time: August 31, 2018 7:30 PM

Subject                                                                                                   Due in

image of calendar 2,500u$D in the Next 10 Days                                     2 days overtime

Dismiss All Button                                   Open Item Button

Cliick Snooze to be reminded again in:

5 minutes         down button                               Snooze button

• Moved by Perry-Pan Tuesday, September 4, 2018 5:12 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 8:07 PM

Answers

• Good intentions can cause untold destruction in the hands of bad people.  Clearly,

Microsoft felt that allowing people to set up reminders in other people’s Outlook and modify their Calendar would help with meetings and appointments.  But in the hands of Identity theft people it is simply another opportunity to place a virus on your computer and obtain information that would cause financial havoc. 

A friend recently suggested that I check my Calendar after telling her that on my home computer I have been receiving a scam reminder every evening at 7:30 pm for a year. You were asked to open it like an email when all the fun, from their perspective, would begin. Little did I know that my inquiries into a Microsoft product would allow them to modify my Calendar and encourage me to open a reminder I believed had a virus.  

This is what I saw at every 7:30 pm calendar slot:

2,500u$D in the next 10 Days

the Next

factormiskellty@gmail.com

I checked off Delete this series and, of course, deleted the reminder/email associated with it.

I believe it is not a coincidence that these problems began after asking technical support from Prime Software NA questions:

www.primeteksoftware.com

www.primesoftware.net

This company should be investigated.   Are they really in California? Maybe they’re in the Ukraine.  Is anything they say true?

Microsoft needs to let people know whenever a reminder is included with an email, not permit someone else to modify your calendar without permission, and delete the reminder for good on the spot.

I have notified the following Anti-Virus companies of this identity theft issue:

Total AV,  PCProtect , Norton , Scanguard,  McAfee,  BullGuard,  Kaspersky, Avast,  and Zemana

Robin

Their address belongs to another company, ASI.  When you call their number, an automated message says the Google subscriber can't answer the phone...

• Edited by RobinNJ Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobinNJ Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:12 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> I have received this Reminder which I did not create myself.

Are these Meeting Request Spam? According to my research, a meeting request spam will add a tentative appointment to your calendar and pop up a reminder to get your attention. It sometimes comes from messages in the Junk Folder. Please check whether this is the case for you.

Have you tried /cleanreminders switch? To do this, exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /cleanreminders and then press Enter.

If this didn’t do the trick, it could be that you have a corruption in your pst-/ost-file as well. Please try repairing data files and then start Outlook with the /cleanreminders switch again to check the results.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, September 4, 2018 5:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2018 5:12 AM
  • Hi RobinNJ,

Just check if the information above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:27 AM
  • Perry and all Other Repliers,

Thanks for the info.

I scanned my computer for scanpst.exe, found it, double clicked and selected the Outlook Folder. I checked yes to correct any errors.  I also  used the Win key + R to run outlook.exe/cleanreminders

If I don't see the SPAM reminder again (I'll give it two weeks) then I'll know the reminder was permanently deleted.

Thanks again,

Robin

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:17 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Thank you for your update. We could wait for two weeks.

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, September 6, 2018 5:38 AM
  • Hi Robin,

How is everything going on with this issue?

As for the forum policy, I proposed the reply as an answer for this thread. If this issue doesn't come back, you can mark it as an answer so we can close off this thread. If you have more concern, please feel free to post back.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 6:50 AM
  • Perry and all Other Repliers,

Thanks for the info.

I scanned my computer for scanpst.exe, found it, double clicked and selected the Outlook Folder. I checked yes to correct any errors.  I also  used the Win key + R to run outlook.exe/cleanreminders

If I don't see the SPAM reminder again (I'll give it two weeks) then I'll know the reminder was permanently deleted.

Thanks again,

Robin

Hi Robin,

It has been 10 days. Does this issue come back? If not, would you mind marking the reply as answer to close off this case?  Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

Have a nice day!

Perry Pan

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, September 14, 2018 5:12 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 5:11 AM
  • To all repliers and the Microsoft Community,

Just got back from Arizona.  The suggestions to delete the scam reminder didn't work.  I also used Avast Anti-virus and Zemana AntiMalware to scan for problems and they found no viruses or other significant problems.  My husband and I are thinking about getting a new computer with a larger hard drive anyway but I'd still like to get rid of this problem.  If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Robin

Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:41 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Have you tried a new profile? Please refer to the steps in this link.

Besides, we could also use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests to resolve many different problems. It can gather the Outlook profile configuration information that's helpful when you troubleshoot problems. For more details, please refer to this link.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:38 AM
  • Good intentions can cause untold destruction in the hands of bad people.  Clearly,

Microsoft felt that allowing people to set up reminders in other people’s Outlook and modify their Calendar would help with meetings and appointments.  But in the hands of Identity theft people it is simply another opportunity to place a virus on your computer and obtain information that would cause financial havoc. 

A friend recently suggested that I check my Calendar after telling her that on my home computer I have been receiving a scam reminder every evening at 7:30 pm for a year. You were asked to open it like an email when all the fun, from their perspective, would begin. Little did I know that my inquiries into a Microsoft product would allow them to modify my Calendar and encourage me to open a reminder I believed had a virus.  

This is what I saw at every 7:30 pm calendar slot:

2,500u$D in the next 10 Days

the Next

factormiskellty@gmail.com

I checked off Delete this series and, of course, deleted the reminder/email associated with it.

I believe it is not a coincidence that these problems began after asking technical support from Prime Software NA questions:

www.primeteksoftware.com

www.primesoftware.net

This company should be investigated.   Are they really in California? Maybe they’re in the Ukraine.  Is anything they say true?

Microsoft needs to let people know whenever a reminder is included with an email, not permit someone else to modify your calendar without permission, and delete the reminder for good on the spot.

I have notified the following Anti-Virus companies of this identity theft issue:

Total AV,  PCProtect , Norton , Scanguard,  McAfee,  BullGuard,  Kaspersky, Avast,  and Zemana

Robin

Their address belongs to another company, ASI.  When you call their number, an automated message says the Google subscriber can't answer the phone...

• Edited by RobinNJ Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobinNJ Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:12 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:03 PM